Your favorite brand of ammo.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Thomas, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

What are your favorite brands of ammunition, and why? Personally, I prefer my reloads, but I only reload 1 caliber. I find that Winchester makes a good product, and Blazer is good for cheaper rounds. The only caliber I really don't like in Winchester is .40 S&W, simply because they load it super hot and there is no need to put extra stress on your weapon at the range.
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I tend to prefer different brands for each caliber.

.22LR - I prefer CCI bulk ammo for plinking and Wolf ammo for more accurate target shooting.
    12 gauge = I don't know why, but I seem to prefer Remington rounds for slugs/buckshot. For bulk target rounds, anything other than Federal works well for me. Target Federal doesn't cycle well in the three 870s I've tried.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Wolf ammo? For accuracy? I never would have guessed that to be perfectly blunt. I never had good luck with Wolf. The rounds were always dirty and fed terribly. Goes to show you can't judge an ammo buy 1 experience!
  4. Amdac

My understanding is that they may not have the best reputation for centerfire rounds, but I've heard nothing but good things in the rimfire community. From the wide range of brands I've tried, I get the best from Wolf in .22LR and they actually cost 3-4x the price of bulk ammo. I have some Remington Eley that have a good reputation as well, but I haven't tried them yet. I'm waiting for warmer weather to do a proper comparison.
  5. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Next time I can actually find .22 ammo I will give them a try. The funny thing is; the best gun ammo companies for handgun rounds, often make crap .22 ammo. Remington and Winchester turn my .22s into "jam-o-matics", where as cheaper Federal works perfectly.
  6. Amdac

Anything CCI is awesome in .22LR. I use CCI Blazer for bulk ammo and have never had any issues. From a thorough comparison, the Blazer is actually the most accurate bulk ammo I've ever used.
  7. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I will give CCI a try then; when it is available of course. I can find some on the web, but the stores are asking 80 bucks for a brick of 500. No way I'm paying that, or even close. If it drops to the 25-30 dollar range I might consider it.
  8. Badd

Badd Rookie Shooter

.40 S&W - I've been using PMC for a while now, and it's worked flawlessly so far. It seems to fall on the cheaper end of things, especially in bulk, and I can use it at my indoor range. I'm planning on trying some of their other calibers soon.
    7.62x39 - I just use Wolf. Dirty as it may be, I've never had a problem with it feeding. Of course, that's more a testament to the weapon; the SKS and AK just work regardless. I didn't even know Wolf make .22LR, I'm going to keep that in mind.
    .308 win - I've only used Lake City, a friend has stockpiled quite a bit and I've been pulling form that. It's shot nicely, and is probably more accurate than my rifle, so I have no complaints.
    12 gauge - Winchester is all I've ever used, but I've probably put less than 100 rounds through my shotgun, so my experience is quite limited.
  9. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

PMC is a pretty good brand. I think it comes from South Korea if I'm not mistaken. South Korea has a pretty good economy, but I'm willing to be that they pay their workers less than they do in the US. This probably accounts for the good quality ammo at a reasonable price.