Who has shot fully auto?

Discussion in 'Machine Guns' started by dapapas, Jan 11, 2014.

1. dapapas

dapapas Rookie Shooter

I haven't. But I get enough of an adrenaline rush firing semi-auto as fast as I can. I can't imagine what kind of rush I would get from firing fully auto. I could probably liken it to lighting a stick of dynamite, dropping it where I stand, and then running as fast as I can!

Has anyone here shot fully auto?
  2. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I fired one or two at a local range that rents them out. They are pretty fun, but you go through a lot of ammo; which is up charged, and they require you to use their ammo at their range.
  3. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I've shot full auto on a few guns:
    • C7 - Canadian military version of an AR-15 (5.56mm)
    • C9 LMG - Basically the same as the US M249 SAW (5.56mm)
    • C6 GPMG - Same as the US M240 (7.62mm)
    • M2 Browning - Heavy machine gun (.50 cal)
    Full auto has it's place, but I would never use it in a real life situation on an assault rifle. Heavier machine guns sure, they're meant for a different purpose though.
  4. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

I've shot everything that Amdac has minus the .50 cal. I had the glorious opportunity to dismount the .50 from a turret and clean it once. However, I have fired the 7.62 machine gun in the coaxial mount in a tank turret. That was fun!

Edit: Almost forgot about the German MG3! It's a 7.62mm machine gun with a ridiculous rate of fire.
  5. Bodybuilder

Bodybuilder Rookie Shooter

My dad owns 2 automatic ak47s and they are incredible pieces of ingenuity. It definitely is an adrenaline rush firing one. I'm sure he uses the 38. Caliber rounds for them to. Talk about a lot of kick.
  6. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

38 caliber? Do tell? I didn't know they came in anything but 7.62x39mm.
  7. Badd

Badd Rookie Shooter

I've had a decent bit of experience firing things on auto and burst, thanks to the US Army. Most of my experience was with a 240B mounted to the back of a truck, but also had some time with an M249, and was familiarized with a .50 cal. The army has a way of taking the fun out of things, and while there definitely was an intensity to it, things like being concerned about proper procedure and hitting enough targets to qualify well kind of kept my mind focused. It was always satisfying leaving a nice pile of brass and links though. I probably had the most fun using a .50 cal on a remote weapon system, which hardly even counts.
    As was pointed out, on an assault rifle it's kind of moot. While my little M4 was easy enough to handle on burst, you can empty a mag just as fast on semi when needed, and have the control to put rounds a bit closer to where you want them.
  8. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Yes. I always wondered about the logic of full auto on an assault rifle. When I fired full auto at calibers, my shots became progressively less accurate.
  9. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

I've done the Canadian C6 (our version of the M240) in a remote weapon system mount as well. It's tons of fun but yeah, doesn't really count. It's way to similar to a video game at that point.

That's pretty much the point. My training emphasized that full auto was an emergency option only. We used it in close quarters (in which case, precision aiming wasn't an issue) and during the Aussie Peelback which was a "Oh Sh*t!" tactic. Buddy at the front of the reconnaissance patrol would dump a mag on full auto and run to the back of the line while reloading. Each person next in the line would repeat that until the patrol was out of whatever sticky situation they walked in to.
  10. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I read somewhere that; during the Vietnam war, less then 10% of all rounds fired actually hit an enemy target. I wonder if full auto was being over used during that war. Can you really blame them though? I'm sure I would be a least fairly panicked in that situation at first.
  11. swagger

swagger Rookie Shooter

It's still similar. No amount of training can prepare you for combat. The adrenaline, combined with your hands shaking like crazy, cause you to miss a lot of shots. It's even worse for other armies that are much less developed then the U.S. army, where they really get little practice.
  12. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

Yup I fired a bullpup rifle full auto, the feeling was just amazing, I felt really powerful and I was amazed at how quickly the target was shot to pieces.
  13. SS42A

SS42A Beginner Shooter

When I was still in first year college, I was invited to join in a shooting range by my superiors in the military. I was about to fire the assault rifle, but I had no idea that I had set it fully auto. My superiors told me to tone down the rifle's firing mechanism to semi. To this day, I have not fired fully auto, and I'm kind of glad that I didn't since I would have no idea on how to take hold of my weapon once it starts firing automatic.
  14. Determined2014

Determined2014 Rookie Shooter

I have not but I would love to , I just love the way automatic ones work.
  15. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

I trained on both the M-14 and M-16 in the Army. I never fired the 14 on full auto, but did the 16. It was fun, and I would not mind being able to go to a controlled range and repeat the experience . The thought of people being able to but and use these weapons at will is frightening. An AR-15 should not be in the hands of just anybody. In order for a person to be able to own that type of weapon, he or she should be required to get "cosigners" willing to take responsibility for any misuse. Would you cosign for your neighbor?
  16. Amdac

Are you referring to an M16 or AR15 in the second half?
  17. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

Both, since they are just variations of the same weapon. It is easy to modify an AR15 to be able to fire full auto. It is illegal, but many people do it. An unmodified AR15 can be used to kill lots of people in a hurry. It is designed for one purpose, killing people, but target practice with it can be fun. I enjoyed training on the m16 ,and would enjoy having one to play with if an appropriate range were available. I can remember the way I behaved with my pistol when I was younger and am glad that I didn't have an assault weapon then.
  18. Amdac

I'm not sure that I would call it easy. The Canadian government considers it much more difficult than many of the alternatives, which is why they're classified as restricted here rather than prohibited. Anything that can easily be turned full auto goes straight to prohibited here.

Why do you consider an AR-15 to be more dangerous than any other semi-auto that shoots .223 or 5.56? Alternatives such as the ACR, XCR, SCAR, Mini-14, SU-16, MR1, etc, etc all do the exact same thing.
  19. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Yikes............this is an argument I have been having with my cousin. We go round and round and round; neither side really gives in. The fact is, and AR is no more dangerous than any other rifle. All guns are designed to shoot.
    Amdac likes this.
  20. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

I have fired fully auto its not for me. Too many rounds going too fast. I like something that i can shoot and focus on hitting one thing at a time not a million rounds flying all over the place.