What's your home defense gun?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Amdac, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I'm curious about what calibers/guns are common for home defense. Out of my current lineup, my HD weapon is my 12 gauge Grizzly Mag (12.5" barrel). This short barrel allows for easy movement through my home with a flashlight mounted up front. My choice will always be 12 gauge for the single shot devastation that no other firearm can produce.

My backup gun (my wife's go-to gun) is currently another 12 gauge Remington 870. :D
  2. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

My home defense weapon is the Sig P226, in .40 caliber. 9mm, .40. .45 and .357 mag are all pretty common calibers for home defense; as is the 12 gauge. Each caliber has it's pros and cons. The 9mm is slightly underpowered, but is good for double tap. The .40 is very effective; but do to it's high velocity and heavy bullet, is very snappy. .45 ACP falls somewhere in between, depending on the gun and round.

The .357 is widely recognized as the most effective pistol caliber. The defensive loads have the perfect balance between penetration and expansion. Effect does come at a cost. Not only do the guns recoil, but they are extremely loud and produce a substantial muzzle blast. This may not seem like a big deal at the range; but fire one off in your dark house, in an enclosed space; you better be dead on, because you're going to get stunned too.
    dansmith likes this.
  3. Badd

Badd Rookie Shooter

For home defense, my go-to is an H&K USP in .40 as well. I keep a couple magazines loaded and a light mounted for just this purpose. From what I've seen, the biggest advantage of 9mm is mag capacity. It is a bit easier to control, and and will still get the job done, but manages to fit quite a few extra rounds in when compared to .40 or .45. To me, .40 is a good balance of control-ability and mag size, while still being common and relatively cheap.
    As a backup or supplement, I have a Mossberg 500, 12 gauge. It has a full stock and a 20" barrel, making it difficult to move though the home with. I'd prefer to use a shotgun for home defense, but need something with a shorter stock and barrel before that will be practical. Guess its an excuse for me to get an 870 sometime.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I would personally prefer something a little more potent than the 9mm, but that's just me. I know several local police officers who have shared some discouraging stories about the 9; including people taking 3 in the chest and still wrestling with the police. That being said, there are going to be stories like that all over; and those stories don't tell of the 90 other times the 9 has worked.
  5. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

My hubby's home defense weapon of choice is a Glock 21 and mine is a Glock 19. We also have several shotguns but the Glocks are by the bed so that would be the first thing I grabbed.
  6. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Ally79, the Glock is a reliable weapon, and a good gun to have at the bedside. I should mention; however, that the shotgun would be far more effective. Winchester (I think), sells defensive rounds that have single shot firepower, equal to a whole magazine of 9mm.
  7. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I don't have any problem with the shotgun for home defense, but my husband is gone at night a lot and I have two small kids. Since I am a midget (not really, just short) I can't reach the shotguns on the gun rack. They are high enough to be out of the kids reach, but they are out of mine too. We are hoping to try and work out another solution here soon. :)
  8. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

A midget huh? :p Perhaps a shorter gun rack?
  9. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Rookie Shooter

My dad's locker has a few firearms in it, but the one that always has a loaded magazine beside it in there is a 1911, which is what I would probably grab first.
  10. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

It might be a little unconventional but I have 2 sawed-off shotguns in the house, just in case some twat decides he's going to try and get in hehe.
  11. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

We've got a bunch of guns in ye olde homestead that would work for defense. The three that are ready to roll at all times, though, are a Mossberg 500 loaded with 7 rounds of 2¾", 12-gauge 00-buck, a Glock 27 (yours-truly) and a Walther P99 (my better half). When I'm out working in the forest, I pack a Taurus 605 though.
  12. lolinternets125

lolinternets125 Rookie Shooter

I keep my Ithaca pump outside my gun case for home defense. I can't imagine missing with a shotgun indoors and I know my fiance is comfortable shooting it as well. I bet old Joe Biden is proud of me for following his advice :).
  13. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Nice. Is it a model 37?

LOL! He recommends firing two blasts in the air first. ;)
  14. lolinternets125

lolinternets125 Rookie Shooter

Yea it is a model 37 in fact.. They are great shotguns, but I inherited this on from my grandfather. Did Biden really actually have the gall to say people should fire warning shots?
  15. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Indeed, those Model 37s are classics.

Oh, Biden said that:

;)
  16. dansmith

dansmith Rookie Shooter

I definitely agree with you Thomas, there are many variables in place when selecting a good home defense weapon. I know my preference is a browning .40 Semi-auto because of it's reliability and balance of power with accuracy. I know the velocity can be a problem with this caliber, but I still prefer it over others, even though the 12 gauge is a very viable option too, but since most home invasion encounters are relatively close quarters I like the pistol over a shotgun because of it's close quarters capabilities.
    thomas pendrake likes this.
  17. skywatcher

skywatcher Rookie Shooter

My grandmother always keeps a shotgun nearby, since I just turned 18 and when I was a minor, she didn't allow us anywhere near guns. But I'm not sure of the brand and the make, though, since she always keeps it away. But my father got a Glock 19 recently, and I've been hoping to borrow it from him just to train myself to be sure.
  18. beardlesswonder

beardlesswonder Rookie Shooter

1 Glock 27 with an extended mag for me...one Glock 27 with extended mag for my wife.
  19. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

You need to check on the legality of your sawed-off shotguns. You may be able to get a Federal permit, but local and state laws may outright ban them. The penalties for illegal ownership or possession are severe, so be careful.
  20. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I would have to use either a Glock 32 or a Sig 226 in .40SW for home defense. Oh I wish I can buy a gun right now but I don't have the money LOL.