What type of Bow do you own

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by beardlesswonder, May 16, 2014.

1. beardlesswonder

beardlesswonder Rookie Shooter

What type of bow do you own and do you hunt with it or just target shoot?
  2. mmmaske

mmmaske Rookie Shooter

I'm not sure about the manufacturer, but I own a #20 recurve. I don't hunt because I live in the city, but my target has seen a fair share of use (and so have the walls and doors of the apartment...)

I'm a mostly instinctive shooter, but on occasion I put the sight on just for practice.
  3. Philosophydaddy

Philosophydaddy Beginner Shooter

A friend of mine has a crossbow that he keeps telling me he wants to use for turkey hunting. I haven't seen the thing in action but it is an interesting piece. He tells me that apparently turkey hunting with a crossbow presents a much bigger challenge than hunting them with a rifle or shotgun :).
  4. mmmaske

mmmaske Rookie Shooter

No kidding. Guns have a fairly straight shot and aren't greatly affected by the wind and other factors. A crossbow means that you use bolts with the actual firearm itself using nothing but stored energy in it's limbs; none of that chemical release that comes with firing a bullet. There has to be compensation for wind, the distance and the drop of the bolt.

I'm always impressed by traditional archers. Apart from what was mentioned above, they have to take into consideration their form, draw, release and follow though which takes practice and discipline to perfect.
  5. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I don't own a bow at the present. However, I've been mighty tempted to invest in a quality crossbow over the years. Barnett seems to be the name that comes up as a quality offering.
  6. beardlesswonder

I have a Parker Black hawk. I love the bow and I also hunt with it.
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

What sort of game do you hunt with the crossbow? Is it similar to other bowhunting?
  8. beardlesswonder

Granted that it is legal in your state you can hunt any game that you would with a normal bow.