What rust preventative are you using?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by GearZ, Jan 15, 2014.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Hello all. I live in an area that gets a lot of cold, wet weather during the winter and spring months. Rust prevention is a nonstop chore on most equipment, including firearms. In addition to regular maintenance (cleaning, lubrication, etc.), I've used Birchwood Casey's anti-rust spray. It works alright, though it doesn't seem to last real long. I've ordered, but not tried yet, some of the Eezox spray to see if it is a better solution.

So, what are you using to prevent rust on your firearms? Any you really like? Any to avoid? Thanks much!
  2. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I live in an area with low humidity, so rust is rarely a problem; however, I did purchase a firearm with rust on it. Rem Oil took the rust right off, and it appears to also have long-term resistance properties. Any gun oil should help with rust; but as you stated, continuous measures are required. The best way to prevent rust is the finish itself. Hard Chrome is one of the best, but several will do the trick; NP3, Duracoat-to name a few.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Thanks for the notes, Thomas. Rem Oil is great stuff. I use it for a lubricant on most of the firearms.

True about the finish; if I was starting from scratch, I probably wouldn't have gone with guns that are less prone to rusting (stainless, etc.).
  4. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Stainless is hard to rust, but not impossible. They actually have a few different brands of finish that can be applied over stainless steel. This would make for some impressive rust resistance, but I'm guessing it would be expensive.
  5. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I realize I'm bumping an older thread, but I've been using Ballistol on some of my guns (couple shotguns, a Win94 and a 1911) and have been very please thus far. The cost isn't bad and it works, even in this hyper wet climate.
  6. wboggs

wboggs Rookie Shooter