What is your opinion of reflector sights?

Discussion in 'Weapon Attachments' started by lolinternets125, Mar 18, 2014.

1. lolinternets125

lolinternets125 Rookie Shooter

Lately I've been on a local short rifle range a lot. There is usually a ton of guys out there with their decked out ARs plinking a way. I have to admit, I get a kick out of some of these guys guns. Many of them appear to have really gone overboard with the accessories. I saw a guy that had two scopes, a bipod, and a foregrip on his cheap AR-15. I can't imagine how much the damn thing weighed!

Anyway, the most common thing I see are various reflector sights. Almost everyone seems to have one. My 556R came with one out of the box, but I promptly took it off. I'm just not a fan of the things and I don't see any advantage to using them. I personally don't shoot any better with them than I would with open sights and the reflectors seem to cause more eyestrain. I guess I also like the feeling of shooting with open sights as well. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes from shooting well without any optics.

What do you guys think of reflectors? Do you find them a beneficial accessory overall?
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

If you're referring to red dot / reflex sights, there are many models available with a very minimal obstruction of view. I have one on my shotgun and love it. I can still keep both eyes open and see everything around me without issues.

One of the major advantages over open sights is the ability to use it in dark environments. Imagine clearing your house at night while trying to line up iron sights. A nice bright reticle hovering over your target makes things much quicker and easier.
  3. lolinternets125

lolinternets125 Rookie Shooter

I can't believe the advantage in low lightening didn't occur to me. I could see how the illuminated reticule or dot would have a huge advantage over iron sights or tritium sights in the dark. It does seem like it would be nice on a shotgun as well. I may borrow one and slap in on mine to see how I like it.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The little I've shot the reflex sights, I like them a lot. I normally am strictly an iron sights guy, but I had to admit, on some platforms they really shine. The only thing I would say is stay away from the cheapies. I've seen some at our gun club that don't hold up.