What is the best Rifle?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Scottie, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Scottie

Scottie Rookie Shooter

There are so many Rifles out there its so hard to pick out one as THE BEST. I've fired several refiles and al of them were great! Some people the AK 47 is the best ever others say the M 16!

What do you think?
  2. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

Well technically speaking the AK47 is the best rifle out there, durability wise and it has no other comparison with the ability to work after contact with mud, water and the like, nowadays I'm sure that's a bit different though as rifles have gone through an evolution of build and so on making them much more durable, jamming less likely to happen and so on.

My personal favorite rifle is the WA2000 sniper rifle, I love the kickback on this rifle not to mention its stopping power.
  3. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

It all depends on the purpose. The best rifle is the one that suits your requirements. If you have time to perform all the necessary maintenance and desire accuracy over reliability, the M16/AR15 platform is the "best" rifle compared to an AK. If you value dependability over anything else, the AK47 platform is your best choice. If you want to shoot over a thousand yards, both the AR and AK platforms are not the best choices. A bolt gun like a Remington 700 or the above-mentioned WA2000 sniper rifle might be the "best" rifle then.

Ultimately, "best" is entirely subjective and is based on the individual needs and desires of the shooter.
  4. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

Exactly, this is a subjective question, as there can not be really any best rifle, some guns are better than others for specific purposes as you stated, but can be worse than others for different purposes etc.
  5. montreal176

montreal176 Rookie Shooter

I go with the ak-47 it is statistically the best Rifle out there.
  6. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

Has anyone here fired the Bullpup, I went to the firing range there yesterday and it handled beautifully, even targets at long range were all killzone shots, really a beautiful weapon, I think for the purpose of fully automatic rifles this gun hits the top.
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Out of curiosity, was the rifle a SA80? Thanks.
  8. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

The weapon I fired is the gun at the bottom.

Attached Files:

9. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

Steyr AUG. Very nice! How far out were you shooting, Tersuss?
    GearZ likes this.
  10. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

+1. Very wunderbar indeed. There was a tiny number imported here back in the 80s, then the import ban put a stop to it. However, there is an outfit making them State-side now, so they are becoming a bit more available. Slick looking design and the 42-round optional magazine provides a lot of firepower on tap.
  11. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

Honestly the kriss vector super v rifle is kind of a masterpiece. Even though im not too crazy about those type of firearms its pretty impressive. All the kick goes downward somehow instead of back to your shoulder so you get almost zero recoil. You won't come up off of your target and have to re-aim much at all. Now i don't know how reliable it is which is how i rate guns.
  12. titohunter

I've fired one at a range they're the guns of the future i think. I'm not really sure how legal some of them are because they look kinda short.
  13. titohunter

I agree, they all have their pros and cons. I think the AR15 is the most versatile gun out there across the board though.
  14. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

"Best" is highly subjective. Best reliability? Probably the AK. Most accurate? The new Berret shot a 5 shot group the size of a quarter, at 1000 yards.
  15. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

How did the question "best rifle" become "best assault rifle"? What if you are trying to shoot a mountain goat from about 1500 yards? Are you after big game in Africa? No trained sniper would use any of the weapons mentioned above, and no serious hunter. How about real rifles? Does anyone here have one? How about a good Virginia long-rifle? Kind of pricey, I admit.
  16. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

AK is the most reliable and rugged than the M16. The M16 had numerous technical difficulties making it unreliable but there were vast improvements. The AK47 does not have the mid range accuracy that the M16 has. AK47 has the 7.62x39 round which packs more punch than the 5.56x45 round.
  17. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

I have seen people who have shot with an m16, or what was left of them. If you are shooting at water buffalo, perhaps the ak47 packs more punch. One friend described the first firefight he was in during his tour in Nam. He looked at the pieces left of the viet-cong and wondered who had called in the rockets. Then someone told him that was what people looked like when shot with an M16. Neither one comes anywhere near to being the best rifle. I am out of the people hunting business, but both of these are combat weapons, which doesn't even make them the best for people hunting.
  18. Toasty95

Toasty95 Rookie Shooter

I personally have to vouch for SKS's. Never had 1 problem with either of mine, and a nice cheap rifle to own and shoot.
  19. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

That is good to hear I mean the ak47 is good for hunting wild game like buffalo. I know the m16 shoots around 1000 rounds per minute which is quite fast and would chew up a 20 round magazine in seconds.
  20. saskcop

saskcop Rookie Shooter

Best all depends on what it is being used for. All around rifle for survival and combat, etc? Well, an AK is hard to argue with, as is a VZ58. Designated marksman, etc.? This is where the AR series begins to shine.