Walmart Ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Philosophydaddy, May 5, 2014.

1. Philosophydaddy

Philosophydaddy Beginner Shooter

Hey all. I was at my local gun shop the other day and I noticed a policy sign posted behind the counter essentially saying that shooting Walmart ammo will void any warranty that they provide with the repair of a gun. I asked about it and the guy said that it is because it has been tested and the ammo that companies sell to Walmart is actually of an inferior quality and can thoroughly mess up a weapon. Is there any truth to this? Has anyone heard anything about it?
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like a scam to try to get you to buy your ammo from them. Walmart here in Canada doesn't sell ammo, but I can almost guarantee that what they sell there is no different than any other store.
    GearZ likes this.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The idea that Wally World is selling crappy (lower-power, dirty, etc.) has been floating around for a long time. As to it actually damaging a firearm, that is new to me. I have, as of yet, see anything to substantiate either though. If it were true, Walmart would be opening a huge can of worms from a liability stand point. Could you imagine the legion of lawyers wanting to cash in on that?

I agree with Amdac, this sounds like a bullplop claim to get you to buy ammo there rather than Walmart.
  4. Philosophydaddy

Seeing your logical arguments spelled out like that, I must say that I have to agree. It was confusing as to why they would make such a claim and now it makes more sense.

@GearZ: You are completely right that if Walmart were guilty of such a thing, people would find out and there would be a HUGE class action lawsuit. Like I said, I never really thought it through.

To be honest, I've only recently become a gun fanatic and I have been leaning hard on the knowledge of my friends who introduced me to this wonderful world, and the knowledge provided by my local gun shop. For them to make such a misleading claim seems to be quite unethical to me. Thank you both for your responses and for helping me clear my head.
  5. beardlesswonder

beardlesswonder Rookie Shooter

It sounds like your local gun shop just wants to sell their own ammo. I find it hard to believe that the ammo manufacturers would produce an inferior product for Wal-Mart. Lets say you buy ammo from Wal-mart and it sucks...you don't care where you bought it you only care that the ammo sucked. So an ammo manufacturer would only be hurting themselves by doing this. I have also heard that the guns walmart sells are inferior or "different" than the ones you buy at a local gun shop...this is also complete BS. The guns are the same, carry the same warranty and are indistinguishable. Local gun shops also tend to believe that what they have is the best and even the same guy at another shop is garbage.
  6. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Pretty sure it's a scam. I have never heard this load of BS before. What you get at Walmart is the same as everywhere else, just cheaper.
  7. Philosophydaddy

Yeah I'm pretty convinced that it's nothing more than a scam they are running. The reason it is probably cheaper is because they can afford to order ammo and weapons in higher quantities and therefore probably get a much cheaper discount for buying in bulk. Ammo is ammo and unless they are skimping on the grain count in the round (which I don't see manufacturers doing) it is probably this reason alone that is the cause.
  8. Jessi

Jessi Rookie Shooter

Sounds scammy to me.

I have bought Walmart ammo plenty of times before. I'll admit...some of it is certainly dirtier than other ammo I have had in the past. That being said, I've also had shells re-filled locally and that stuff is WAY dirtier. But none of it is going to actually damage a gun.
  9. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

See, the ammo I have fired from Walmart has been the same as everywhere else. I think Philosophydaddy has it correct; Wally World can afford to buy so much higher quantities, that they can sell it cheaper.
  10. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

Load your own, or get a muzzle-loader and learn what a real weapon is. Make your own black powder, especially if you have a few bats in your attic. Oops, not on a survival forum at the moment. The bats also help with insect control. Better to buy powder from a reputable source, but I am sure that there are people willing to do it the old-fashioned way. Bat caves are a better source for the nitrate and were important years ago.Anyone still do it that way?
  11. Toasty95

Toasty95 Rookie Shooter

I have to agree that Walmart ammo has given me no more problems than "gun shop"purchased ammo. Like everything, they can buy a crap-ton at discount, then sell at a discount.
  12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I see they have a decent collection of ammo in Walmart. I mean the one where I live used to sell guns but something happened and they stopped. I go there and they have the shotgun shells on the far corner of the aisle.