U.S. Army Wants New Pistol

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by GearZ, Dec 10, 2014.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

So, it looks like the US Army is considering a new handgun for the official sidearm. There is some info here. I've read the front runners are the S&W M&P and the Glock line. I've read contradictory reports as to if they'll stick with the 9mm or .45ACP.

Thoughts on this?
  2. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I saw this too, but I didn't know that Glock was in the running. They wouldn't be a surprising choice or anything, that is what the bulk of law enforcement officers carry, but I had not heard they were competing for the contract. I am betting the M&P gets the contract and that they go with the .45.
  3. Jobenvy

Jobenvy Rookie Shooter

Glock all the way easy to clean and maintain accurate as all hell, not to mention "light". 9mm is fine for combat use. Maybe give our regular troops the G-17's rest of the special squirrels guess could fight over the other models. Pretty damn sure Glock could give us a better deal than Beretta. Saving tax payer money and all that jazz.
    ally79 likes this.
  4. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Those are definitely two awesome choices. I'm a bit biased but I'd pick the M&P mainly due to the three grip sizes, as it would suit everyone perfectly. I know gen4 glocks have it as well, but from what I've read they don't cover the proper range of hand sizes the way the M&P does. It feels alright in my hand, but my hands are huge.
  5. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

We have a Gen4 27 and 34 and just last week we changed the back straps on them to see if they would be more comfortable for my husband. He is a huge Glock fan, and right now he is having severe carpal tunnel like issues (still waiting on some tests from the neurologist)so he wanted to change them to the largest size to see if it would make it easier for him. I could shoot them now, but not comfortably but they are working better for him. He has pretty large hands too Amdac. I have never gotten to hold the M & P before.
  6. Jobenvy

Jobenvy Rookie Shooter

Hi Alley79 sorry hear your husband has that i know the aggravation had it before it goes away on its on eventually, but if he has trouble Glock also offers a line, well after market anyway of lighter trigger pulls. Pretty much a drop in part with instruction on how to install on just about 50 youtube channels. Might help little if he has problems with the heavy trigger pull on the stock models.
    ally79 likes this.
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

If I recall correctly, the reason why the Glock wasn't chosen in 1985 was due to the fact it was fairly new and did not have a manual safety. I wonder if the latter is an issue now. I haven't read either way on that one.
  8. Jobenvy

Jobenvy Rookie Shooter

Good point however i never really seen the reason we need safety on combat ready weapons. When in the rear all weapons are cleared constantly and live rounds are always controlled. My tours in Iraq my m-4 was always locked and ready safety off on patrols and such. My finger is/was my safety.
    ally79 likes this.
  9. saskcop

saskcop Rookie Shooter

Glocks are tough guns, but they do not hold up to tens of thousands of rounds. They will still function, but there is a service contract that most police departments have with Glock for regular part replacement and ultimately the replacement of the pistols after a determined number of rounds. This is not so much the case with all steel handguns. I realize that the trend is toward the plastic pistols, but for longevity, it is easier to replace a few parts on an all metal gun to keep it in service. This did play a small part in 1985 and continues to play a part with some current police departments. A large police department in Canada just turned down the M&P strictly on the large $$ service contract attached to using the pistol over a long period of time.
  10. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

It looks like Beretta proffered a product improved M9 called the M9A3. It had a higher cap magazine, threaded barrel (for cans), accessory rail, and thinner grips. The Army, almost instantly, rejected it. Details here.
  11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I would love to see the military use the Glock as a standard issue sidearm. I mean if the police can use the Glock then the military should be able to as well. I heard originally that the M9A3, if that is what it was called was one idea of a replacement, but it got pulled off due to budget. This is why these poor troops are dying out here because war is a corrupt business that feeds the big man.
  12. xHysteria

xHysteria Rookie Shooter

I agree with Jobenvy on this, I have carried a Glock before and it's VERY easy to clean, and it doesn't take that long either. On the side note, it's a lot cheap than the weapons they're current using the LE agencies.
  13. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

We actually just got confirmation today that it is indeed carpal tunnel in both hands, not just the one. We start treatments next week (hoping to avoid surgery, but he is a chef by trade so I don't know), but in the meantime we had already discussed changing out the trigger pull on the two he carries most often. Any particular after market brand that you would recommend?
  14. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

That carpal tunnel syndrome is no joke. Years of wear and tear on your hands is no laughing matter. If you do not have good strength in your hands you would have problems later on.