There was Freedom Before Guns

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by thomas pendrake, Jul 30, 2014.

1. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

Guns are a fairly new invention in human history. Long before there were guns, there were free societies. Guns can be used to deprive people of freedom. What is required is a balance of power and the will to be free. Many people want to be controled.
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I disagree on so many levels.

Sorry, but I don't understand where you're getting that idea from.

So can any other weapon that existed before firearms.

Do you have a source for that? Again, I disagree. I prefer freedom over being a slave and I'm pretty sure most people would agree.
  3. thomas pendrake

I fail to understand when you think guns were invented. Are you totally ignorant of history? I know of no interpretation of history that has guns invented before about the 14th century AD. Of course, other weapons can be used to enslave people, or to fight for freedom. As to some people wanting "law and order", try reading a newspaper, or watching the news. There would be no tyrants without their supporters. Boehner has not disenfranchised hundreds of millions of American voters unaided.

The point of the thread is that guns are neither necessary nor sufficient to ensure freedom. What is needed is an educated public Ignorance and complacency breeds loss of freedom. Caesar was assasinated with a knife, and he had used no guns to dismantle the Roman Republic and become emperor.
  4. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

What does that have to do with anything in my post? I said that other weapons existed before firearms and you go off on this rant? o_O

"Law and order" and slavery aren't the same thing. Being "controlled" contradicts "freedom".
  5. thomas pendrake

You said that you had no idea where I got the Idea that there were no free societies before guns were invented. I assumed you meant that guns predated recorded history, since there have been many free societies throughout recorded history and we have to assume before recorded history. Controlled is not the same as slavery, and many people use the term "law and order" to refer to strictly controlled societies. The term "police state" refers to the extreme of law and order. There are many examples of strict societies voted into power or established by popular revolutions. Nazi Germany is an example from the Right Wing, and Soviet Russia is an example from the Left. There have been cities and counties in America where extreme control has been exerted, sometimes requiring outside intervention. Or armed uprisings. Guns can be used to balance power or to exert control. They can be good or bad, depending on who has them.
  6. thomas pendrake

Understand that popular gun ownership can help preserve freedom, but guns can also be used to enforce tyranny. Freedom can exist without guns, and tyranny can exist because of guns in the wrong hands. Freedom comes from the moral character of a people.
  7. CpXi7z1

CpXi7z1 Rookie Shooter

I don't have a problem with sensible laws concerning guns. Sensible laws should be written by lawmakers who own and know how to operate guns. Every country should have the right to bear arms. There will always be criminals, and every citizen deserves the right to protect home and family. What's needed is better screening of potential gun buyers. Perhaps lawmakers who understand guns and psychiatrists and psychologists should join forces in setting criteria about purchasing and using guns. Of course, if unstable people want guns, laws will not stop them; they could borrow, steal, or purchase on the black market.