Scope Recommendations

Discussion in 'Optics' started by Thomas, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

What rifle scope would you guys recommend? I'm looking for a modest priced; well built scope, that can handle a lot of recoil.
  2. lolinternets125

lolinternets125 Rookie Shooter

I'm not sure if Leupold is considered modestly price, but they make some great optics. The clarity is amazing relative to other manufacturers. In my opinion, you can't do much better than a VX-3L 9.5x.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

If cost isn't a big concern, I'd go with a Leopold or a Zeiss. If it is, I'd check something out made by Bushnell or Burris.

What features are you looking for? For what application?
  4. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

I've got a Bushnell Elite Tactical mounted on a .308 and it's pretty good. Here in Canada, it's going for about $850, prices will be cheaper south of the border. From all the research I was doing before I bought it, that's a "modest" price. The glass is clear and bright but I think that's true for just about any modern scope over the $600 mark. It's a Second Focal Plane scope so ranging is a bit harder if you're lazy and hate math like I do. The general rule of thumb is to spend at least the same on the scope as you did on the rifle.
  5. Philosophydaddy

Philosophydaddy Beginner Shooter

Does anyone have any experience using this scope: Here? It's not as expensive as some scopes but from the reviews I've read it seems like a good one. I plan on using it on a .308 so I don't know how much the recoil will affect it. Any suggestions?
  6. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I don't know much about the Millet brand, but based on the price I wouldn't think it would be too spectacular. Then again, I find my $150 BSA mildot scope to be amazing, but that's sitting on a 22LR. I don't know how long a $200 scope would last on a .308 rifle.

That 24mm field of view would be pretty rough as well.
  7. Philosophydaddy

Ok, I guess I am going to really unveil my ignorance of the subject of optics here :p. What do you mean by 24mm Field of View? Where did you find that on the description? What would be a better number? One other thing: What does MOA mean?
  8. Amdac

My wording probably didn't help much. ;) The 24mm is the objective lens size (front lens) which doesn't directly translate to field of view, but it can limit it depending on the design. It's the third number in scope specs: "1-4x24". It mainly determines the amount of light that can enter the scope which effects the quality of the image. A common size sits somewhere in the 40mm range for lower to mid range scopes.

MOA stands for "Minute Of Angle". An angular degree is broken up into 60 minutes. This tiny angle is projected forwards from your scope to the target. The easiest thing to remember is that one minute or MOA is roughly one inch at 100 yards. Since it's an angle, it translates to 2 inches at 200, 3 inches at 300, etc. When people talk about a 1 MOA group, it means their group size is 1 inch at 100 yards. If they shot at 400 yards, in theory their group would be in the area of 4 inches diameter. This is why MOA is common when discussing group sizes, since the specific range doesn't matter too much. You can predict the group size at any range. A 2 MOA rifle should shoot a 10 inch group at 500 yards for example.

In the description you linked, MOA is used in several ways. The 1/2 MOA I'm assuming refers to your zeroing adjustments. This means that each click of the knob adjusts your dot 1/2 inch at 100 yards, or 1 inch at 200 yards, etc. The "1 MOA center dot" means that the dot would cover a one inch object at 100 yards. The "90 MOA range of adjustment" means that you can adjust the dot by 90 inches in any direction at 100 yards. If you're shooting 50 yards, this is roughly 45 inches.

Hopefully I didn't confuse the hell out of you. :D
  9. Philosophydaddy

That is a lot of awesome information. Thank you for sharing that with me. Also it was definitely not confusing. Are rifles advertised by their MOA or is it more of an individual thing from rifle to rifle? I mean I understand how it applies to the scope now that you described it but talking about a rifle in that manner doesn't seem to make much sense. Wouldn't it depend on the shooter's ability and familiarity with the weapon?
  10. Amdac

A rifle's rating is based on what the rifle can do before factoring in the shooter. Those ratings usually come from a rifle locked in a vice. It's basically the potential of the rifle if the shooter were perfect. ;)
  11. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

For a .308, I would take a higher powered scope than 1x4x24. A scope that low powered might limit you. I personally have a scope that cranks up to 24 power on my .308. If you want to stay in the lower price ranges, check out 3x9 or 3x12 scopes.
  12. Philosophydaddy

Which number is the power rating in the "1x4x24" description? I understand that the 24 is the objective lens size from what @Amdac was saying. Thank you for the recommendation as well. It is something that I appreciate. I also appreciate the time and detail you (@Amdac) went into to explain the various things I've asked. Thanks again! This is all good information that I was not familiar with.
  13. Amdac

It should actually be "1-4x24". I corrected Slacktrack's quote to make it easier to understand. ;) On the scope you linked, the "1-4" is the magnification range, the "x24" is the lens size. Think of it as 1 to 4 by 24.

I'd also have to agree with Slacktrack. 4x magnification on a .308 is very limiting considering the range potential of the round. For comparison, I use a 3-9 scope on my .22LR at only 100 meters. I'd want at least that if shooting 300-600 meters/yards.