Saiga 12 / street sweeper question

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by titohunter, Jul 13, 2014.

1. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

Why is the saiga 12 a legal firearm but the street sweeper is illegal when its like the same gun? lol Did they just not like the name of the street sweeper?
  2. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

I wish they would design a legal version of the old street sweeper that would make everyone happy. What a beauty it was.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

It really is a quirk in the law on how shotguns are handled. The Title II definition of a "destructive device" includes guns with a bore greater than .50, except for "sporting" shotguns:

Any weapon by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter (.50 inches or 12.7mm), except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes;​

The Streetsweepers and Cobray knock offs were originally imported and built (respectively) as regular old Title I shotguns. However, during the Clinton administration they were reclassified as a destructive device. The ruling can be read here. Contrary to popular belief, properly registered Streetsweepers (and their clones) are perfectly legal to own, provided, of course, one pays the tax and submits the paperwork.

The Saiga's are, as of this writing, still Title I and can be bought like any other gun. However, note this month the present administration has banned further import. So get'em while you can. ;)
  4. bocat

bocat Rookie Shooter

I think their intentions were to make a legal street sweeper. I am thinking that is what the Saiga is. The government is coming for it though. You better get it while you can.