Ruger 10/22 Magazine Review.

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by GearZ, Jan 16, 2014.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I used to shoot rimfires quite a bit back in the day, but do as much now. However, my wife does have a couple of .22LR firearms (a rifle and a handgun). The rifle is a Ruger 10/22 and the following is a review of the magazines that I've used in said platform. This is certainly not exhaustive or scientific, but rather just what I've noticed over the decades.

The original 10-rounder: It works and works well. As it is flush-fitting its easy to carry. The downside, of course, is it only 10-shots.

Ruger BX-25 magazines: My experience with these is limited, but the little I've seen is very positive. They feed reliably and quality control looks to be good. The only negative is they are more expensive than most aftermarket mags.

The 25-round steel-lipped Butler Creek magazines: Of all the aftermarket magazines, I've had the best luck with these. With very few exception, they feed reliably and hold up after years of use.

The 25-round plastic-lipped (Hot Lips) Butler Creek magazines: I've had really spotty, at best, results with these. Most were junk that simply would not feed. Some where hit and miss with the jams. As they aren't much different cost wise, the steel ones are the way to go.

Blackdog 10/22 50-round drum: I read rave reviews on these and know at least one guy who tells me his is the cat's pajamas. The one we had was worse than worthless. It was nearly impossible to load and it would jam every 2-3 rounds. It finally seized up solid and I had to take it apart to extract the live rounds. We may very well have just got a lemon, but considering their cost and how bad the one was, I won't be trying this one again.

Eagle 30-rounders: These are, in my experience, pretty hit and miss. They aren't bad for plinking, but the quality control and the reliability seems to vary a bit.

Anyway, I hope the information is helpful. :)
  2. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Thank you for the info GearZ. Would you mind sharing a price list for the above mags?
  3. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

My steel lipped Butler Creek mags have treated me very well over the last year and a half. They work well with the Archangel stock I put on my Ruger 10/22. Very nice review, GearZ!
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

You bet. Approximate costs:

The original 10-rounder: Comes with the rifle.
    Ruger BX-25 magazines: $25-26-ish
    The 25-round steel-lipped Butler Creek magazines: $15-16-ish
    The 25-round plastic-lipped (Hot Lips) Butler Creek magazines: $12-13-ish
    Blackdog 10/22 50-round drum: $40-50-ish
    Eagle 30-rounders: $15-ish
  5. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Not too bad on the price. Magazines for a 1911 tend to run a little more, and Sig mags are ridiculously expensive.
  6. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

I wish Canada had prices like that. Butler Creek mags run about $30 to $40 here in Canada.
  7. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

It's all those socialized medicine taxes in Canada ;) I actually wonder about things like that sometimes. Most middle class Americans are very strapped for cash. Our government sees to it that we pay dearly for working hard and bettering ourselves. There must be something Canada has that we don't then, cause it seems that you have higher taxes, similar wages; yet you still can afford some luxuries.
  8. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I'll add a couple of my own as well.

Promag 25 round: I've had mixed results with these. I have two of them from my Archangel kit and one seems to function much better than the other, although it isn't flawless either. I've had the odd stoppage but nothing too annoying for general plinking.

Tactical Innovations 25 round: Amazing. I'm not sure if I've ever had any issues that weren't the result of crappy ammo. If so, they're extremely rare. I only have one and it feeds flawlessly, although it is pricey. The advantage to these is that they have 4 set screws to adjust the mags so they're perfectly snug and flush with your specific rifle.
  9. antoinebugleboy

antoinebugleboy Rookie Shooter

I had a Ruger BX-25 magazine before I (oh rue) sold my 10/22 to move across the Pacific. It never gave me any problems, and it really felt like it was going to hold up for years and years of use.

Some day I'll put together enough change to buy a 10/22 again, and I'll definitely buy another BX-25 or four or five.