Reloading 9mm - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Amdac, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Does anyone reload 9mm? I'm just wondering if you could share your approximate price per round in the end.

I've been considering picking up a Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm but I would likely end up dumping a mass amount of rounds in a short period of time. I've found bulk 9mm for about 24 cents per round (steel cased) or 30 cents per round (brass cased). These are Canadian prices. I'm just wondering what kind of savings I could get from reloading or if it's even worth it at all.

I have a friend that has a bunch of old reloaded 9mm but he can't recall the prices.
  2. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Are there any restrictions/extra taxes for reloading supplies in Canada? If the prices are similar to what they are in the States, you could probably cut that in half. I can load .45s pretty cheap; sometimes 15 cents a round. 9mm will be even cheaper.
  3. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I've done a little research even though I have no clue what I'm looking up. I think I've worked it out to 4 cents per primer, 10 cents per jacketed hollow point, and my understanding is that powder is almost free and brass ends up being minimal per use.

That sounds awesome, especially considering all my rounds would be hollow point instead of crappy surplus stuff.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

1 pound of power runs 17-30 dollars in the states, depending on which company/type you choose. I get about 1000-1500 rounds per pound, depending on the load of course. Brass was collected when I fired the original rounds. If you want to spend a little less on the bullets themselves, try plated bullets instead of jacketed.