Reducing Calibers?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by GearZ, Jan 26, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Well, I've got that bug again: cutting down on the number of calibers/gauges we stockpile. I'm not going to go nuts, but I'm going to cull at least one right away (.45/70 Gov't) and maybe a handgun round too. I could reduce the shotgun gauges, but I'm going to stick with the line up for now as they do have a reason in our battery.

Anywho, anyone else done this? Worked out good for your budget and/or preps? Any regrets?
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Noooo not the .45-70! I've actually been considering getting one in case a bear wanders into my house. Is the main reason for reducing calibers just for ease of stockpiling?

I currently only have .22lr, 5.56, 12ga, and 9mm. I think my four cover most of what I'd ever need. None of those could really be removed.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Yah, I know. I hate to cut loose the .45/70 too because it a beauty and it provides a lot of thump down range. Oh well, I went ahead and listed it for auction.

The idea behind the reduction is less to buy, store, and rotate. We've got kind of gonzo number of calibers/gauges (1 rimfire, 5 handgun, 2 rifle not including the one above, and 4 shotgun*) that it is time to simplify. Cutting out the .45/70 is one. I'm thinking of axing one of the handgun calibers too. It pains me to say it, but the .45ACP would likely be the one to get the boot on that one.

Rimfire
    .22LR

Handgun
    .32ACP
    .38 Spl/.357 Mag
    9x19mm
    .40S&W
    .45ACP

Rifle
    5.56mm
    .30-30 Winchester

Shotgun
    .410-bore
    20-Gauge
    12-Gauge
    10-Gauge
  4. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

You could probably lose one or two shotgun gauges as well. ;) I have three shotguns myself, all of which are 12 gauge.
  5. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

That has cross my mind, though only two are really for me. The 20 is for my wife's "around the property and informal clays" shotgun. The little .410 is socked away for when my daughter is old enough to learn, though we could go with a 20 I suppose. The 12 is the workhorse for yours truly. The 10 could really go away, but I just like it. More importantly, I like the shotgun it feeds (Ithaca Mag-10). I don't hunt waterfowl anymore due to time constants, but its the best turkey gun I've ever personally used.