Red Dots: Easier or Harder to use?

Discussion in 'Optics' started by skywatcher, Apr 3, 2014.

1. skywatcher

skywatcher Rookie Shooter

I've been curious about red dot sights - I've been seeing a lot of them on games and on movies and other TV series (my uncle also uses them, but I've never touched a rifle or a handgun with one per se), but I'm really curious.

Do they help all the time, or are there specific times that you have to use them, or are they actually recommendable? Is it advisable for someone like me to use this or should I train the conventional way?
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

What do you consider the "conventional way"? A red dot sight is just another option for optics, there's nothing fancy about them. The main advantage I see is the ease of use in low light conditions. I use them on any firearm that I don't require magnification on as I prefer a red dot over any other non-magnified option.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Red dots can be a royal PITA though. Unless you put some bucks into them, they loose their zero rather easily (in my experience that is).
  4. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

That's the same with any cheap scope as well though. ;)
  5. Jobenvy

Jobenvy Rookie Shooter

Red dots are real cool, but you better have flipups when those bats die and remember to always have your iron sights zeroed n
  6. SS42A

SS42A Beginner Shooter

The red dot optics on weapons are useful to guide the person in tracking his target, and if he is quite new to firearms, the red dots can serve their purpose as a targeting system. However, the shooter must be careful not to rely too much on the red dot. Though it provides the shooter with additional guidance, especially during at night or when visibility is limited, peripheral vision is still important when handling firearms.