rail guns

Discussion in 'Machine Guns' started by thomas pendrake, Jul 22, 2014.

1. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

I see that the U.S. is putting rail guns on ships. I don't mean to be facetious, but should the 2nd amendment apply to rail guns? It is only a matter of time before someone creates a railgun for private use. Other electronic weapons are also feasible. I won't discuss design concepts, but I know they are out there.
  2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I am just wondering when we would have laser cannons? I mean even with the rail guns I am just anxious to see them get to the point where they would look futuristic.
    thomas pendrake likes this.
  3. taki

taki Rookie Shooter

I've already seen a concept gun shot on a Youtube video that featured railgun technology. The bullet went through 2-1'2 inches of carbon steel like it was not there. These are extremely powerful weapons but yes, the 2nd amendment should apply to these as well as all other firearms. I have studied the 2nd amendment rather deeply and feel that virtually all the laws restricting firearm ownership in this nation as it pertains to private individuals are illegal. The only allowance the 2nd amendment makes pertaining to regulation is as it applies to groups of people working toward the same or similar goal.

With that said, government can prohibit the manufacture for the purpose of selling of a particular firearm, but not its ownership by a private citizen.
  4. thomas pendrake

The U.S. has operable laser cannons. click on link
  5. thomas pendrake

I suspect that the definition of "bear arms" would apply. How do you "bear" a tank or a M65? how about a 16" cannon? A Rail gun small enough to carry would be far less powerful than those now being produced. Better exotic weapons can be built that could be bourne, but I can't and wont discuss them.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I agree a M65 weapon nor a tank could be carried LOL. I think that Laser weapon system that the Navy has looks interesting. I hope to see more of it in the future.