Protection?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by JoanMcWench, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Hands only work well against other hands. As soon as an attacker has any form of a weapon such as a knife, I'd much prefer something with a bit more range like pepper spray.

You'll always have hands, anything else you add can only help.
  2. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

Depends on what you train in to be quite honest, I have fought off people with knives, tyre irons bats and lead pipes, without any particular need for anything but my hands.
  3. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

So has Batman, but you've missed this point:
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I didn't miss the point, I understood the point, I just stated my preference, being that I would rather use my hands and martial arts than say a pipe etc.
  5. skywatcher

skywatcher Rookie Shooter

I think with this case, aside from my fists, I'd actually try avoiding situations that might cause conflict? But if it's really unavoidable, I think I'd rely on the taser I always bring with me - but it's annoying because it has its own holster thingy. It takes me about two and a half seconds to properly get the taser, turn it on and stun the person with it. I wonder if the two and a half seconds are enough to help me survive a potential mugging, so I'm practicing, haha!
  6. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu Beginner Shooter

While my martial arts training has been mainly open handed (mainly karate and BJJ), especially where knives are concerned, given the choice, I'd much rather add some range between myself and the person attacking me, at least until they're disarmed or disoriented. Whether that range comes from a pipe, a branch, pepper spray, a sword, or a .40cal is a moot factor. I like the marine slogan of "one mind, any weapon." And while I don't have personal experience with it, there's a reason that kali/eskrima starts with weapons training: open hand moves can be modified for use with weapons and vise-versa. That was one of the first things that one of my karate instructors told me when I got my sai. So, in a true self-defense situation, if they've got something in their hand, given the opportunity, I'd prefer to grab even a makeshift weapon like a chair, and fall back on open hand techniques, than rather limit myself to only open hand techniques and have nothing to fall back on. Not that I doubt my skills, just one of those things of being prepared for anything. Even if they appear unarmed, a knife that you didn't see can come out of nowhere, "And then it's over and out." (See Bas Rutten's Street Lethal Self-Defense for the quote).