Prop shotgun help. Are there resources on the internet that can show more or less how this guy made

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by PvtParts, Dec 16, 2014.

1. PvtParts

PvtParts Rookie Shooter

Here's the video.
    Okay, I lied a bit in the title. It's actually a grenade launcher, but the same principle I think applies.
    I want to know how to create something like that. Are there blueprints on the internet? DIY videos? etc.
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I am not positive on how to build one. The model in the video looks a lot like a China Lake pump-action grenade launcher. Its from the Vietnam era and not a lot of them were made.

[​IMG]
  3. Jobenvy

Jobenvy Rookie Shooter

So you made a grenade launcher now where are you going to find the rounds? I'd imagine anything that launches an explosive round like that would be HIGHLY illegal.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I'll let the OP confirm, but I think he is wanting to make a plastic, non-firing prop version for whatever reason. At least that's what it looks like in the linked YT video. The 40mm grenade the guy is cycling does not appear to be a live round.

A real China Lake grenade launch is indeed a destructive device (DD) and is NFA-regulated. Any explosive rounds for said are also DDs under NFA34. Theoretically, if one could find a transferable model and it was legal in one's state, it could be F4ed to an individual. There are some M79s and M203s on the registry, but I am not aware of a China Lake pump.

All that said, if one was in the possession of an unregistered DD, it is very bad news. As in eight months to ten years in a Federal Penitentiary bad news. Just stay legal and don't go there.
  5. PvtParts

PvtParts Rookie Shooter

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to make a functioning replica of a shotgun. I just want to build something that will look incredibly cool in the camera. So does anyone have blueprints to how they make shotguns?
  6. PvtParts

PvtParts Rookie Shooter

My idea is I want to make a shotgun from my own imagination. I even have some cool drawings right now. But when I build the thing, I want it to work: basically, take a fake round, load it, and spit it out to the side like a shotgun would.
  7. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

It seems to me that it would be a lot easier to use a real weapon with dummy ammo, rather than build something from scratch for the same purpose. It will also look more realistic.