Pasture Clays?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by GearZ, Jan 27, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Formal trap and skeet shooters often, somewhat derisively, refer to breaking clays informally as "pasture clays." Whatever you want to call it, I find informal clay shooting a heckuvalotta fun. It involves some acreage, a means of throwing clays (machine is best, but hand thrown will work), some shotguns, and friends. My family likes busting clays during the summer months and I'm missing it right now in the dead of winter. We normally stick to our regular hunting shotguns in 12 and 20 gauge. Though on one occasion I brought the big 10-bore for sh ..., er, poops and giggles. I had one bruised shoulder, but it was good fun.

Anywho, anyone else do this? What equipment do you use? Where do you shoot?
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I was out a week ago shooting clay actually. I have a crappy hand thrower that breaks them all, but my buddy has a pull string thrower that works well. We just go out to a common shooting area in the bush. I only go on warmer winter days though. It was 0C/32F when I went.

I prefer to use the H&R break action in my signature below, I just like the 28 inch barrel for clay vs the 18 or 12.5 inch alternatives. It actually works really well.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015