New Surgeon General

Discussion in 'Gun Laws and Politics' started by ally79, Dec 16, 2014.

1. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

So we got a new Surgeon General yesterday, Dr. Vivek Murthy. The only thing I know about him is that he is anti-gun, and the the NRA managed to block his confirmation for a year. What do you think having an anti-gun surgeon general could mean for the US? Does a surgeon general have any real power at all?
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I've done some reading on this character and he does appear to be a anti-gun muppet, to put it mildly. With respect to setting actual policy, particularly gun regulations, he has no real power though. Oh he can whine about guns or the CDC can do stupid research projects that attempt to prove how naughty gun ownership is, but it only burns up more tax payer money. Something similar was done during the Clinton administration, it was a waste of money, and (drum roll please) the CDC was forced to admit the danger to public health from legal firearm owners was pretty much nothing. In other words a lot of noise, but no substance. So (shrug) I don't like this character being the surgeon general, but there are worse threats to our RKBA.
  3. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I hope that you are right and that there is no real power that comes with the position. I haven't heard a whole lot about the fellow since he took his post so who knows what he is up to these days.