Muzzle Loaders?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by GearZ, Jan 20, 2014.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Howdy all. I am curious if anyone into muzzle loaders. I've shot a few over the years, but never really got into it. It seems like it might be fun, though, and it does open extra hunting seasons in some states.

Anyway, just curious. Thanks. :)
  2. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I don't own any, but I have shot a few. They are actually fun for a change, but they don't seem to be any cheaper to shoot. What I do like, is the ability to create a wide range of power levels on a "per shot" basis.
  3. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I agree @Thomas it does allow you more choice, but a certain amount of practice would be needed to get it right, unlike just loading a magazine into a normal rifle it can be a tad difficult to begin with.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Agreed on the versatility and cost factor. I think why I never really stuck to it was when I shoot I want to, well, shoot. Frontstuffers take a long time to reload. ;)
  5. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

Muzzle-loading rifles are the real thing. Think of them as organic. They are also very accurate, at least the American variety. One of the reasons the U.S. won the revolution was that American soldiers shot at individual red-coats and made every shot count, whereas the redcoats could not hit a specific target, they just shot in the general direction. A good Virginia or Kentucky long rifle can take down a deer at a mile, one shot. An AK-47 at 1/4 mile can take down a deer with one magazine.
  6. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

Some photographers will take hundreds of photos to get one worth while, and others will make each shot count. A few strings of firecrackers might help satisfy the desire to shoot a lot. A muzzle-loader makes the experience real.