Kalashnikovs

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by zach, Jan 19, 2014.

1. zach

zach Rookie Shooter

Seriously who else here has a fascination with Kalashnikov rifles? I have always really been a fan of the look and feel of AK-47s, AKMs, and AK-74s Just such sweet assault rifles. The overall design is so simply and yet so effective, making it one of the most sought after guns in the entire world. Definitely something I want to add to the collection eventually.
  2. Badd

Badd Rookie Shooter

I've owned one, a Maadi ARM, and currently have something based off the same platform, a Saiga Hunter, but in .308.
    AKs in all forms are very serious rifles, and nothing has been able to beat them in reliability. Sure they're heavy, not particularly accurate, have a selector that is awkward to work, and lack a number of conveniences found on more modern rifles, but none of that really matters. It shoots, and always will no matter how badly its abused. The first time I opened one up I was surprised by just how much empty space was inside, and how simple it was to take down and clean. The Russians needed a main battle rifle that would work in all conditions, and that's what Kalashnikov designed. Since then, it's pretty much become an icon.
    If you're in the market for one, I'd suggest stopping by any gunshows in your area. At least with the ones I've been to, they're a pretty common sight and can be had fairly cheap.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

The AK-47 is simply unmatched is design reliability. My uncle fought in Vietnam and captured an enemy AK-47. He dropped it in the marsh while taking cover from enemy mortar bombardment. He dug it out of the mud; and though it was completely caked in filth and dripping water, he emptied the entire magazine without fail.

The recoil operation is simple. It may be less accurate then say; an M-16, but it is plenty accurate for a killing shot. Likewise, the .223 was often deflected by shrubbery; while the heavier, .30 caliber bullet from the AK was not. There have been a few rivals in reliability, but no match; or surpassing weapon. The AK-47 is the best automatic rifle design of all time.

Both the original 1911, and the pump action "trench guns" were known to fire after being dropped in the muddy trenches in the first world war. Neither of these matches the potential firepower of the AK-47. The H&K Mk 23 passed extremely abusive reliability tests, though it has yet to prove it's track record in real life. We may never see a weapon design greater than the AK-47.
  4. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

If I could legally own one here, I would. I love the design, the caliber, and the all around awesomeness / terrorist look of the rifle.
  5. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I could legally own one here; I believe, but I would end up on a registry; and would have to pay a stiff fee each year. It's simply not worth it to me, despite the fact they are so cool. When I worked at the local MacDonalds, one of my coworkers was selling them out of his trunk, for 1500 bucks. I was so tempted :D
  6. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Rookie Shooter

They're fantastic, and very cheap. Whenever me and my friend made zombie plans we always made sure that an AK of some sort was there in the mix, haha. Gotta love that 7.62, also it felt surprisingly comfortable to fire... Had a nice weight to it and I am a fan of the sights. (Ak47 from Century Arms)
  7. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I am the same, however I must say of all the AK rifles my favourite by far is the AK-74.
  8. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The AK I've owned was a WASR and I didn't care for it, so sold it off. That's not to poo-poo the design, just this particular variant was lacking in overall workmanship. One of my family members has a high-end Krebs AK and that thing is slick!

As fighting rifles go, its hard to go wrong with a Kalish. There's a reason why you'll find them in nearly every corner of the world.
  9. ami4041

ami4041 Rookie Shooter

It's cheap and easily available, especially the older 47. It's pretty much as ubiquitous in Asia and the Middle East as cheap Nokia phones.
    It's reliable, powerful (the 47, the 74 uses a smaller 5.56 round IIRC) but pretty inaccurate compared to equivalent European or American assault rifles.
  10. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

&GearZ The reliability is indeed legendary, but they lack a bit in aesthetics. They're not pretty, but they work!
  11. SS42A

SS42A Beginner Shooter

The Kalashnikov is more than just an assault rifle. It has become a symbol of liberation for most Third World countries. As outdated it may be when it comes to designs, it is nevertheless one of the most reliable weapons available on the market today. How I'd wish one of my local gun stores would have at least an airsoft AK-47 instead of the M16. In fact, some local police officers have ordered AK-47s as their primary assault rifle because of its reliability in combat situations.
  12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

That is understandable which I am amazed even up to this day how many AK47 are still around. Even there is a US version of the weapon called MAC 90. I do love the Russian's AK14 which is suppose to have a 60 round magazine. Also it is able to chamber 5.45mm, 5.56mm, 7.62x39mm, and 7.62x51mm. That is useful for soldiers who want to swap ammo. I would love to get my hands on that gun.