Is The 410 Outdated?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by taki, Jul 21, 2014.

1. taki

taki Rookie Shooter

I've been shopping around for a nee shotgun lately and everything I see tells me that my old 410 is out of date. It looks skinny and well frankly of ill repute compared to the monster's I'm finding for sale now. I was never really fond of that 410 anyway. It is time to part ways?
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure I'd call it out of date, but from what I've been seeing locally the ammo for 410 actually costs more than the much more powerful 12ga. That alone is one of the reasons I stick with 12ga. It's one of the more powerful shotgun gauges but is somehow the cheapest.

It would still be decent as a trainer or for someone of tiny size though.
  3. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

My father (born in 1922) told about an experience he had when about 6 taking a 12 gauge to hunt for squirrel. After that, he used a 410 or 22 with birdshot. A 12 gauge is fine for deer or high flying duck. For quail use a 12 gauge if you want to kill them but never find them. Same for squirrel.
    Try reloading to save money.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Outdated? No way. A niche item? Yes. I found it to be excellent at removing small garden and farm pests. Its a decent trainer to those new to the world of the smooth-bore. If utilized at the proper ranges, it makes a fine small game cartridge. Some folks even break clays with .410s for the extra challenge.

Personally, what I've really liked about having a .410 is the ability to dispatch a pest without all the extra damage and noise that would come from a larger-bore gun.

When stacked up to, say, a 12-gauge, it doesn't hold up well. However, we're really talking about two very different tools. If you're looking for a fighting shotgun or to sky-bust geese, look elsewhere. If you want a light-recoiling, relatively-quiet smooth-bore for the aforementioned tasks, the .410 will work out splendidly. :)
  5. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

A 12 gauge is also a niche gun. My father was fond of the 410 for deer hunting here in Florida, but probably would not have used it out west or even up north.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I don't think 410 is outdated but it is not as common as 12gauge shells. I cannot recall many weapons that are 410 since I only have seen 12gauge shotguns like Remington 870, Spas-12, and striker 12.