IDPA or USPSA

Discussion in 'Competition' started by LittleJustin, Nov 22, 2013.

1. LittleJustin

LittleJustin Rookie Shooter

I'm thinking about getting into some friendly competition shooting. I know that I won't do well, just looking to expand my horizons with my shooting experience. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these competitions and recommend which one would be better for a newish handgun shooter?
  2. NM shooter

NM shooter Rookie Shooter

I've been looking in to this myself. There are a few clubs in driving distance near me that hold matches. From what I grok from the rules of each IDPA seems better suited to the beginning competitor. The course of fire is not very complex. USPSA involves more an obstacle course in their matches. IDPA is strictly pistols where as USPSA has rifle and shotgun matches as well. Each has divisions for stock firearms and enhanced. Myself, I'm looking to start in IDPA.
  3. LittleJustin

LittleJustin Rookie Shooter

Ok, thanks for the advice. Now I'll have to start looking near me for someplace I can shoot and make sure I can meet all the requirements.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I actually just purchased a second hand "race gun" at the local store. I think it was meant for an open circut-not concerned as much with "power factor". It's a pretty sweet piece, and I got it for the price of the base gun alone. After pricing some of the features, I came to realize it would be an expensive hobby to get into!