Hunting with silencers?

Discussion in 'Gun Laws and Politics' started by GearZ, Jun 9, 2014.

?

Hunting with silencers legalization a good call?

1. Yep. Its a free country. That and hearing damage is bad news.

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No way, such equipment doesn't belong in hunting.

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Dunno, don't care.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Silencers aren't legal here, so whatever.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The last few years, state after state (Arizona, Louisiana, Wyoming, Georgia, et al.) have been making it legal to hunt with suppressors/silencers. The NRA is heralding it as a victory for liberty, while some traditional-minded hunters don't see it that way.

What are you thoughts on legalizing hunting with hunting? Harmless hearing protection or a bad idea?
  2. Determined2014

Determined2014 Rookie Shooter

I do not think that hunters should hunt with silencers, I think the sound should be there, italso acts as a warning sound that hunters are in the area, so it is best for the sound to be there.
    ally79 likes this.
  3. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

I don't think its a good idea. I feel like for one reason or another people need to know you're out there shooting if they're close to you. What if someone runs right in the middle of your range.
  4. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I am in Georgia and I thought they were illegal! I don't think that hunters should use them though. During hunting season there are too many people out in the woods and the sound makes them aware.
  5. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

I thought they were legal too. I have seen people with them in some places though, maybe you can have them with special paper work.
  6. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

I guess it might be useful for hunting people. I am talking about as game. Hunters would only want to use them for poaching and the occasional accidental shooting of other hunters. Silencers are illegal for good reason. Wear hearing protection,
  7. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Says who? I'm sure pretty much every hunter would rather keep their hearing any not scare off everything within earshot the second they fire a single round.
  8. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

There are millions of hunters in this country the obey the law and hunt responsibly. Suggesting adding noise reduction to equation would make them into poachers and/or murders is patently absurd.

They are legal to own in nearly every state and legal to hunt with in almost as many.[1]
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    Amdac likes this.
  9. thomas pendrake

Yes, many states allow some use of silencers, and special permits are available from the Federal government. If you want the loss of power and accuracy and the increased risks, be sure of the laws and be sure you have good insurance. Don't expect to have much luck hunting, though, and expect to make other hunters angry.
  10. thomas pendrake

One of the reason that we have separate bow-hunting seasons is that the silence of bow hunting puts the bow-hunter in danger from gun hunters. Serious hunters are aware of this and want other hunters to know they are out there. I thought non hunting shooters enjoy the noise, sort of like Harley owners.
  11. thomas pendrake

Florida is currently debating the use of silencers for hunting. Although the sound of a high velocity round may alert other hunters that there is another shooter in the woods, it is decieving with regards to the location and may actually increase the danger for the person with the silencer. That is why snipers often use them.
  12. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Tax stamp. Not permit.

LMAO! Just wow. Suffice it to say, silencer/suppressor design has come a long way since the days of wipes. ;)
  13. Rhoda DEttore

Rhoda DEttore Rookie Shooter

I can understand the desire to not scare off any game around, but at the same time, it does seem unsafe. It is one thing if you are hunting on your own property, or you know who is supposed to be there, but to be out in public areas, it just seems wrong. I enjoy the sound of gunfire though, so maybe I am just weird. To me, it goes with the experience, and mentally I equate silencers with mob hit men. LOL
  14. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

How would it be less say that, say, bow hunting, crossbow hunting, of hunting via falconry? All of those activities produce less noise than a suppressed, centerfire rifle in a caliber large enough for hunting big game (e.g., .308 Win, .30/30 WCF, etc.). Granted a suppressed .22, running sub-sonics, is pretty quiet, but that is only used for small game (e.g., rabbit, etc.).

High visibility clothing which, afaik, is mandatory in all States along with all the other safety precautions of hunting can help avoid an accident.
  15. Rhoda DEttore

Rhoda DEttore Rookie Shooter

Well, that is true about the crossbows and bows. I didn't even think of that. No offense, but I was thinking of the guys I know who go out to cabins in the woods and get drunk. I have been asked to go on a couple hunting trips with them and refused just because I do not think they would be safe. We live in a world where the VP of the US shot someone, remember? You just know someone is going to get hurt, but I guess accidents are bound to happen regardless of what precautions people take.
  16. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Well, anyone who mixes booze with firearms is bad news, regardless of the equipment used. I've got no problem with drinking nor firearm usage, but refused to be around folks who combine the two. I can remember an incident at our club some years ago in which my wife and I saw guys pulling beers whilst shooting big bore handguns. Needless to say, we let the gun club know and left. Now we do nearly all of our shooting on our own acreage.