How well do you know your guns?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Thomas, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Do you guys have the ability to strip your guns down to the bare bones? Can you notice a problem when you see one?
    I can do this on 1911s, but am challenged when it comes to the other pistol models I have owned, or currently own. Detail stripping a 1911 takes me about 3 minutes, and reassembling it requires 5-15 minutes depending on how stubborn some of the parts are being. On a few occasions, I actually had to put the gun aside for a few minutes to regain my composure. This is especially true on 1911s that have tuned triggers.
    I broke down my Desert Eagle once, and only once! Despite the gun being single action only, it was a royal pain. It took me hours to figure out how to get the springs back into place. I have since passed that gun on to my brother, and he won't dare detail strip it either. Double action weapons are very difficult. When my Sig got extremely dirty, I had to detail strip it to get all the mud out. I couldn't get the gun back together again, and was forced to send it to the Sig shop. This mistake cost me almost 100 bucks.Live and learn I suppose.
  2. -Robert12345

-Robert12345 Rookie Shooter

I'm no good with stripping them down or knowing when there's a problem, I hope to get better though.
  3. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

I hate stripping down my 10/22 because it's in an Archangel body kit. The kit pieces are a pain to take off! Bolt actions are very simple. The only one I take the bolt apart is my Lee Enfield and that one is easy. I'm no gunsmith but I can figure out when I've reassembled something incorrectly!
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

It really depends on the guns. Some I can due to so many years of shooting them (e.g., M1911) and others out of necessity (e.g., a Ithaca Mag-10 needs to be kept real clean). Others, I wouldn't have the foggiest to do a detail strip (like my wife's P22).
  5. Jessi

Jessi Rookie Shooter

Absolutely. This is very important for being able to clean them properly, so it's one of the first things I do.

And actually, I take it one step farther. I learn how to strip them with my eyes closed and put them back together without opening. It's one of those "learn your gun inside out" techniques. I feel like if I can do it quickly with my eyes closed, then I can easily do it with my eyes open, too, so I feel like I've mastered it at that point.

So whenever one of us gets a new gun, I tend to keep it next to me on the desk for the first few days to strip it repeatedly until I can "do it blind" and then I'll put it away.
  6. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

If I practiced more, I could probably start putting my double action pistols together more effectively. I know the 1911 pretty well, but the firing pin blocks on modern variations are a pain. I actually tuned my sear spring recently; lowering the trigger pull.