Fully automatic pistols?

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by Philosophydaddy, May 4, 2014.

1. Philosophydaddy

Philosophydaddy Beginner Shooter

Is this a thing? I've obviously heard of and seen Uzis but I never really thought of that as a pistol, more like an SMG. I was just curious if there was such a thing out there and if anyone has shot one. If there is such a thing, what kinds exist? What kind of calibers are there? I am thoroughly curious as to this type of weapon.
  2. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

There is a fully auto Glock model. I can't remember which one it is.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

There are a bunch that exist, actually. Machine-pistols are more of a European fascination though. A few examples:

Glock 18. Its basically a select-fire (semi and full-auto) Glock 17. It has either a 19 or 33-round magazine and is chambered in 9x19mm. I am not aware of any on the NFA registry, though there were a few Glock 17s converted and papered pre-1986.

Mauser M712 Schnellfeuer (and the Spanish knock-offs):
    This is basically a select-fire version of the venerable Mauser C96 "broomhandle." Registered M712s are are relatively available. The holster doubles as a stock.

Stechkin:
    This is a Soviet design chambered in 9x18mm Makarov. It has a 20-round magazine and has three fire modes: semi, three-round burst, and full auto. Like the Mauser, the holster doubles as a stock. I've read that there are a few 1968 amnesty-registered bring backs on the NFA registry.

Beretta Model 93R: This is basically a Beretta 92 with a three-round burst capability, foregrip, and, optionally, skeleton stock. There were a few transferable ones built on Taurus frames back in the 80s.

There are also, of course, some tiny submachine guns that can be fired on-handed with the stock folded (e.g., Mac-11, Škorpion vz. 61, etc.).
  4. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

They do have a few fully auto pistols out there i'm not too crazy about them. Their is a thing called the jackal b which is a fully auto. I think the kg99 is another machine gun pistol if that's what its called. There's a few more out there though. They also make a fully auto glock.
  5. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

I've seen someone shoot it a few times. I think its the glock 18.
  6. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggy Rookie Shooter

The Glock 18 is a very famous for being fully automatic, not exactly very useful in my opinion but hey it's still awesome.
    It has a record breaking rate of fire at 1,100-1,200 rounds per minute.

Here's an example with several extended magazines:
  7. xHysteria

xHysteria Rookie Shooter

It looks like a pistol but doesn't shoot like one. It's a SMG in the shape of a pistol. I generally would say it's a pistol, but theoretically it's not because of it's shooting pattern.
  8. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The line between machine-pistol and submachine gun is very fuzzy indeed. Some writers opine that if it is based upon a pistol, requires the attaching of a stock rather than one build in, and is designed to carried that way (e.g., in a holster) it is a machine-pistol. A submachine gun, on the other hand, has a permanently attached stock (fixed or folding) and is not designed to be carried in holster. Even that definition is a bit fuzzy because, for example, the original CZ Skorpion has a folding wire stock, but is carried in a holster.

Concerning the law here the the US, though, anything that spits out more than one bullet per trigger pull is a "machine gun", so it is sort of moot for the civilian market.
  9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I noticed that too when watching the video with that fully automatic Glock. That wired folding stock seemed to work with that Glock. The shooter was able to handle that recoil but I think that Glock shoots .22 rounds.
  10. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The video in post #6 appears to be a 9mm; both from the mags, the spent casings, and the sound. Glock doesn't produce a .22LR, though there are conversion units. If they'd work in a 18 I don't know, because the internals are different in the model.
  11. Profit5500

That Glock in the video looks like its short, but I cannot tell from the angle. I recall the Glock 18 being fully automatic. I just do not know if Glock released any other fully automatic versions of their weapon.
  12. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Rookie Shooter

Yes there is a thing out but is it really needed? A semi-auto pistol does the job fine, and since your very limited with the amount of rounds you can fire, I don't see the need for one. Now if I was on the battle field in war or something then that's a different story.
  13. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Pretty much. The whole full-auto handgun thing was more or less a European fascination in the interwar period and, to some extent, World War II and early Cold War periods. No major national army issues them to regular troops now. Where they do remain in use is in very highly specialized counterterrorist units were having full-auto capability is something they want. The Glock 18, for example, was created at the behest of the Austrian EKO Cobra. There have been incidents of terrorist groups also using machine-pistols or very compact subguns too.
  14. Profit5500

That is very clear on the battlefield that you would need an automatic weapon. I would have a Kriss Super Vector handy if I was able to afford one LOL. In the city and towns, I would have the semi-auto handgun.