For You Shotgun Experts

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Thomas, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

There has been a local increase in the use of mind altering drugs. I have been thinking; perhaps a pistol round would not be completely effective at defending against drug induced invaders. A shotgun seems to be a good answer to my problem. I do not however, have very much experience.

What would you recommend? I'm looking for a .12 gauge; auto loader; 5 to 7 round capacity, with night sights. I would like a solid stock and pistol grip, but I am open to suggestions.
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I've never used a semi-auto shotgun myself. From my understanding, they run extremely dirty and require maintenance way too often to maintain reliability.

That being said, if I could legally own a Saiga-12 in Canada, I would have one already. ;) It can be set up to meet your criteria.

For a reliable home defense gun though, I'd probably stick with the standard pump actions.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Really? I have never heard that about semi-auto shotguns. Thank you for the advice. Maybe a pump action is the way to go. It's unlikely I would need more then 1 shot on target anyways.
  4. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

There's a short article here about semi-auto shotguns: http://www.chuckhawks.com/wrong_with_autoloading_shotguns.htm

Some of the key points:
    I'm not bashing semi-auto shotguns or anything in fact I love them and think they're awesome. I'm just saying that from a home defense standpoint where reliability is the difference between life and death, I personally stick with a pump action.
  5. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Our HD/SD shotguns are pumps, but with those parameters, I'd go with the Saiga with the modifications you wanted. There is also the MKA 1919, but I don't know much about them at this point.
  6. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

It makes sense that manually cycling the rounds is more reliable then reliance on auto loading. The only way to jam a revolver is blocking the cylinder from spinning, so they are inherently more reliable than pistols. However; there are some pistols that are reliable when filthy, but I guess there is always a small chance they will jam.
  7. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I would check out the french SPAS-12 it is an easy gun to use, with little recoil and a semi automatic capacity good grip and solid stock, not to mention very accurate from close to mid range.
  8. 96grandsport

96grandsport Rookie Shooter

I think a simple Remington 870 or Maverick 88 pump action would fit the bill for you. Keep in mind that if someone breaks into your house and you shoot them with a shotgun, you're probably only gonna get one shot. The reason I say this is because you will be instantly-deafened by the incredibly loud pop, especially from a 12 gauge. That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about pump vs. semi, as you'll probably only get one round off. Plus, the CHICK-CHICK of a pump action may be enough to make some burglars pucker up :)
  9. Philosophydaddy

Philosophydaddy Beginner Shooter

This is exactly why I want a HD shotty. Psychological effects of hearing that distinctive sound when you aren't expecting it can lead to not needing to shoot at all. Although I didn't realize that autoloaders were as maintenance intensive as some have claimed in this thread. It is interesting to find out.
  10. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Hahahahaha, I bet the pumping sound would stop anyone of sound mind in their tracks. Should you have to shoot them, a shotgun is just about the best choice....no drugs will save you from a coffee lid sized hole in your chest.