Everyday Carry?

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by deuce22, Nov 25, 2013.

1. deuce22

deuce22 Rookie Shooter

What's your EDC? I have a Springfield XD in 45 that I really like with the exception that it's a bit cumbersome. I'm very interested in a Walther P99, I've handled one and really enjoy it. I am always open to hearing others opinions though, what do you use and trust everyday?
  2. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

My EDC is a Glock19. It is my favorite gun hands down, I love the way it fits my hand and I love the way it shoots. I also love how many rounds that it will carry without making it too bulky to conceal.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I usually carry me Sig in the truck. As far as concealed carry or open carry, I don't tend to do that much. Part of the reason is where I work (be fired on the spot for having a gun in there) and secondly, I rarely go to public places. I spend most of my time outside the home with family, or in places where guns are not allowed anyways.
  4. dapapas

dapapas Rookie Shooter

Im looking at making my first handgun purchase and i want to make sure that i can use it for concealed carry. I was looking at Ruger lc9's or Glock 26 or 27. Any advice on those or other suggestions?
  5. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Ruger makes a good weapon; however, two friends of mine have both owned Rugers, and had issues with them. I'm not sure of the exact model though. I'm not a huge Glock fan when it comes to range work. They handle like bricks, with horrible triggers to boot. What a Glock will do for you is function reliably, which is the most important factor for any carry weapon.
    dapapas likes this.
  6. dapapas

dapapas Rookie Shooter

What are the issues your friends have had with the Rugers?
  7. dapapas

dapapas Rookie Shooter

And what exactly do you mean "like bricks?" I've shot them before and didn't notice anything in particular.
  8. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

One friend had feeding issues from an incorrectly sized feed ramp, while the other "thought" he had magazine issues. After purchasing new mags, his issues continued. He never sent the gun back to the factory, so I can't really tell you exactly what the issue was.
    Since I'm a 1911 fan, I'm very sensitive to ergonomics. Glocks feel "unbalaced" to me when they fire. The aiming is awkward for me; the grips are too fat; the trigger safety is terrible; and the mags are not flush with the grip (at least the ones I have fired). Nevertheless, they sure can take a beating.
  9. dapapas

dapapas Rookie Shooter

I understand now. So what would you suggest for EDC? What Sig do you have?
  10. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Glock is fine for EDC, if you can handle the ergonomics. The reliability of the Glock is not in question; I would rank them third in general, probably fourth in New Mexico in that category (Glocks are vulnerable to sand, and there is a lot of it here). Explanation: I consider Glock and XD tied for number 3. When the sand starts blowing at the local range here, the XDs function better; consequently, in a sandy environment, Glock drops a notch.

I have the Sig P226, in .40. While the gun is fantastic; reliable beyond belief, it is on the heavy side for carry weapons. I carry it around in my truck, and on my hip at night when walking the dogs (more worried about 4 legged threats in my neighborhood). It's also rather large to conceal. My suggestion would either be a Glock; an XD; a Browning Hi Power; or a commander sized 1911 built closer to original specifications (IE not super tight for accuracy). Word of warning for the 1911 though; predominantly all metal guns, sometimes require a break in period before they are carry reliable.
  11. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

For vehicle carry, I have a M1911A1 (full size) in .45 ACP. For EDC on my person, depending on the time of year and attire, its either a Taurus 605 in .357 Magnum or a Kel-Tec P-32 in .32 ACP with an extended 10-round magazine. I realize the latter is a mousegun, but sometimes its the only thing that will really work. I have in the past carried a Glock 27, but I keep it home these days.

Regarding the Walther P99, my wife has one of the DAO models and really likes it. She normally only carries it in her vehicle though.
  12. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Good choice is vehicles weapons GearZ. Most of the concerns about a 1911s reliability are based off the fact they are not properly built. The .357 is a solid choice in defensive calibers; the only problem being, firing one off in dark; enclosed spaces, can stun the shooter as well. Walther makes a good gun.
  13. WeDontSleep

WeDontSleep Rookie Shooter

Glock 19 probably the best choice out there. Even hickok45 said so, and he has countless years of experience :D Seriously though, you can't go wrong with the G19, I have never heard anyone complain that it's too big or doesn't hold enough rounds or is unreliable, It's just too good.
  14. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

forget the rest of those pistols, they may be good but none are as good as the old fashioned German masterpiece that is the Luger, it is really comfortable, brilliantly accurate at mid range and decently accurate at longer ranges, high powered and quite capable of putting a hole in three people back to back, also it is great for concealment, or so I have found as I carry it everywhere I go.
  15. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

If a pistol is putting a hole in three people back to back, that means two of them are getting non-lethal through and through wounds. The rounds are not dumping the energy properly and this means you are providing an ineffective defence. If all you want to do is make attackers bleed and not drop, you're doing it right.
  16. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Sorry but I have to disagree with that point. The Luger fires a standard 9mm round which penetrates about 12 inches, or the weaker 7.65×21.
    GearZ likes this.
  17. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Indeed and, as far as I know, it is a profoundly bad idea (as in kaboom) to run +P or +P+ rounds through them.
  18. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

Oh well that's a downer I grew up being told that the luger had that kind of punch to it, way to burst my bubble haha, ah well mine has never gone boom, but I take it apart and clean it every night so maybe it is just a maintenance thing.
  19. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Don't feel too bad Tersuss. Standard pressure loads in a 9mm are still a viable carry option.
  20. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

Feel bad, I don't feel bad I feel angry, lying so and so that I bought the gun from and for €900 and it was in cruddy condition had to have almost the entire firing mechanism re-made.