Dumbest Gun Law ever?

Discussion in 'Gun Laws and Politics' started by Rhoda DEttore, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Rhoda DEttore

Rhoda DEttore Rookie Shooter

I wrote a college paper on a proposed "Gun Buy Back" program Clinton wanted to enact. This was one of the most absurd things I ever heard of. Supposedly, anyone could turn in their gun, no questions asked. They would be given confirmation that any crimes committed by the relinquished weapons would not be investigated. The theory was that it would get the guns off the street.

My problems with this was that 1.) Only the law abiding citizens would be turning in the guns, so now the little old couple down the street would be robbed by the still armed criminal. 2.) The criminals would use the government to hide their weapons used in crimes. 3.) The criminals were then being given money to purchase new weapons and drugs.

What are some of the dumbest laws or proposed laws you can remember?
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The Gun Buy backs are pretty stupid all around. First, you can't but back something you never owned. Secondly, as mentioned, the hardened thugs aren't going to turn in their guns. Finally, though there is a rare gem here and there, they normally get broke junk that is later meltdown at the taxpayers expense. Feel good nonsense at its finest.

As to the dumbest laws, that would be hard to decided upon. The National Firearm Act created all kinds of byzantine regulations that have to be followed. It makes a sound safety device (silencers) are PITA to buy and operate. The, so called, and now expired, Assault Weapon Ban did nothing to stop crime. The "gun free zones" are also ridiculous; is some nut bent on death and destruction going to abide by a sign that says no weapons? Right.

Probably the worst anti-gun action my lifetime, however, wasn't a law, it was a police action. And that was when the NOLA police took away arms from private citizens who were trying to survive in the wake of Katrina. It was Unconstitutional (both Federal and Louisiana's), illegal (they had no powers to do so) and immoral (the people were trying to survive one of the worst natural disasters in our history). It was later settled in court and bills were passed at both the state and federal levels to prevent it happening again. Cold comfort for those that experienced it though.
  3. Rhoda DEttore

Rhoda DEttore Rookie Shooter

Wow... I never heard that one.

I know in my state they were trying to enact a law that if someone stole your gun from your home then committed a crime, the gun owner could be charged with the same crime. In order to prevent this, they wanted to sell the gun owners a $300 trigger lock.

To me, stop the freaking criminals from breaking into my house and robbing me, and we won't have a freaking problem.
  4. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

Rhoda that is definitely one of the dumber ones I have ever heard, and I have always thought that the buybacks were nothing but feel good nonsense. When they do gun buybacks in my state (Georgia) usually end up with more guns selling to private buyers than the police department gets. All you have to do is offer the sellers more cash than the state does. ;)