Dragunov Sniper

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Tersuss, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I have found recently that this gun in particular or rather rifle is really quite good for hunting or hitting targets with a rather high degree of accuracy, not to mention with minimal recoil, along with suppressors and infra red scopes, this seems to be the quietest rifle I have ever come across.
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

There was a time (early 90s) in which real Dragunov sniper rifles were available in the United States. They were marketed as, if I recall right, the Tiger Carbine or something like that to appeal to this market. Sadly, Bill Clinton inked a deal with the Russians that forever stopped their importation, so the few in the country command crazy prices. Now there are rifles that resemble the Dragunov available (e.g., the Yugo and Romanian snipers), but they really are different rifles internally.

Anyway, long story short, indeed, that would be a slick setup. Mounting a high-end can (suppressor) to it would make it all the better. The Finns have made some truly awesome 7.62x54R suppressors, but they aren't really available here. However, there are some American designs that are pretty slick too. :)
  3. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I know of the knockoffs as I call them but to me there is nothing like the original, I will never buy a knockoff, I had the gun sent in pieces package after package over the space of about 6 months just so the local police forces wouldn't be hammering down my door, mainly because the barrel obviously had no lead down it and for the fact there were around 200 rounds along with it, cost me about $8,000 for the lot not including postage fees, it was expensive but more than worth the cost.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I hear you about the copies. In fairness, the AK-system based designated marksmen rifles (in either 7.62x54R or 7.92x57mm Mauser) aren't bad rifles. Tack drivers they ain't and I know Soviet gun collector types blanch at the name "Dragunov" being misapplied to them. Still, for a working gun, they fill a roll.

All that said, as noted a real one will cost you and arm and a leg and there are other options, at least in the States and Canada, for a self-loader in a battle rifle caliber (.308, 7.62x54R, etc.) to consider.
  5. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

That is a fair comment to make, I suppose at the end of the day as long as it supports its purpose to a degree that your happy with then a knockoff will do.
  6. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

Dragunov rifles are banned by name in Canada because they belong to the unholy family of uber-assault scary AK guns. The list of AK variants banned by name is surprisingly long and complete. Looking further into the list, they actually banned the Galil version of the AK twice, once in the list of AK variants and then again in its own special entry.

It's a good thing there's lots of bolt action .308's and 7.62's that are safe for the Canadian public to use!
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Good grief. The Galil was once imported here, then import banned, then totally banned, then the domestic ban was lifted in '04, but the import ban remained. Finally, someone got slick and started building the receivers here. VoilĂ , the Galil is back in the States. ;)