Dominion Arms Grizzly Mag 12.5"

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Amdac, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I just wanted to share some pics of my recent purchase. This is a 12 gauge Grizzly Mag by Dominion Arms with a 12.5" barrel which holds 5+1 and is a Remington 870 clone. Out of my three shotguns, this is by far my favorite.

*Edit: Updated picture HERE

grizzly.jpg

grizzly3.jpg
  2. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

How do you find holding the forend with that flashlight taking up half of the left side? Doesn't look like you have a very good grip in the bottom picture!
  3. Amdac

It's mounted far enough forward and the power switch sits perfectly just in front of my thumb. I'm considering mounting it on the other side and adding a pressure switch if I can find mine.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  4. NM shooter

NM shooter Rookie Shooter

In America I can't own a shotgun with that short of a barrel. Legal limit here without the big tax is 16".
  5. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

That's an awesome looking shotgun but I think I'd like a pistol grip on there. It seems like it would be easier to control hot loads coupled with such a short barrel if you had the pistol grip.
  6. Amdac

I'm working on the pistol grip, just trying to figure out how to set it up. ;)
  7. Amdac

I have a new addition being delivered. :D
  8. Amdac

My new stock just arrived, an ATI talon tactical stock. So far it's pretty impressive and feels solid. I'll give it a test run in the next few weeks.

Note: The cheek rest is on backwards on purpose. It reaches forward slightly farther this way which is where my face tends to sit.

grizzly-ati.jpg
  9. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Sweet setup! Does Dominion Arms make the box magazine or is it another vendor that makes the modification?

Actually, its 18" for shotguns and 16" for rifles. Anything shorter than that requires a $200 tax and registration pursuant to the National Firearms Act of 1934. Info here.
  10. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I'm actually surprised by the fact that shotgun is not illegal in Canada. From what I've heard here, the gun laws in Canada are even worse then ours.
  11. Amdac

The one in the pic came with it. I bought a couple aftermaket polymer ones that are absolute garbage though so I need to pick up some more factory metal ones.

Same here. As ridiculous as our laws are, for some reason they allow short barrels on shotguns. We can get the same model with an 8.5" barrel as well. The 8.5" is a less usable length though and doesn't have interchangeable chokes. I've got a modified choke in mine.
  12. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Goes to show that gun laws don't make sense; for the most part. You're extremely restricted on hand guns, yet you can own a concealable shotgun, which is a far more effective tool at close range.
  13. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

That sir is a beautiful shotgun, how accurate is it, judging from it's somewhat short barrel I would assume that it is only a short range weapon or am I wrong.
  14. Amdac

This 12.5" barrel with a modified choke patterns the exact same as my 28" barrel shotgun with the same choke. It actually holds pretty tight for a long time. When the weather gets better I'll shoot up some patterning targets with a few of my shotguns and post the results in an article here.

The only thing that might differ is the muzzle velocity. I haven't tested it myself but when I researched it a few months ago, I saw numbers in the 85% - 90% range of manufacturer velocities from a 12.5" barrel. That's good enough for me. :D
  15. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

Wow, that is good enough for anyone I would think, I would think velocity would be affected especially with something that is closely resembling a snub-nosed barrel hehe.