Does weight on the end of the barrel affect recoil on revolvers

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by titohunter, Jul 27, 2014.

1. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

I was told adding weight to the end of barrels reduce recoil.. Would this have any affect on revolver recoil?
  2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I think if you add a compensator like on S&W 500 it can reduce the recoil. What revolver are you using titohunter?
  3. Duggie

Duggie Rookie Shooter

My understanding (and I am by no means any kind of expert) is that a compensator or a ported barrel will help reduce recoil by expelling or re-directing some of the gases from the fired cartridge. Adding weight alone to the end of the barrel will reduce the muzzle "flip" which is another component of the recoil, but I'm not sure it would affect the overall recoil. I don't shoot a revolver (yet !), but have played around with adding a bit of weight to my Glock 17 in the form of a tactical light/laser. It does make a difference to the amount of muzzle flip and allows a bit faster re-acquisition of the target. but I don't think the rearward force of the recoil is affected. Just my 2 cents worth. Oh, wait...I'm in Canada and we don't have pennies anymore so I guess I have to round down!