Do you think gun are too easily accessible?

Discussion in 'Gun Laws and Politics' started by Scottie, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Scottie

Scottie Rookie Shooter

If a 8 grade student can get a gun and shoot up an entire school, killing and injuring dozens of people, It is too easily accessible. There should be more stringent rules in place to stop guns from going into teens hands.
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

With rights, comes responsibilities. Its already very much illegal for an eighth grader to purchase a firearm, so its incumbent upon adults to properly store their firearms.
    ally79 and Amdac like this.
  3. Scottie

Scottie Rookie Shooter

That is so true, I thing the owners of the guns that are used in these shooting should be sentenced for the crime immediately. Too much guns on the streets in my eyes still!
  4. beardlesswonder

beardlesswonder Rookie Shooter

Put all the rules, regulations and laws in place you want...but it wont change the fact that if someone wants to inflict harm upon others they will. Murdering someone is already illegal, if that didn't stop them then all the gun laws in the world wont. Mental illness is at the heart of the issue, why don't we focus on helping people with mental illness so they don't go out and kill a bunch of other people.
    ally79 likes this.
  5. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I would say poverty has more to do with it than mental illness. Perhaps in the case of school shootings, mental illness is a larger factor, but many(if not most) gun crimes come from desperation.
  6. Philosophydaddy

Philosophydaddy Beginner Shooter

That most gun related crime is poverty related would be my first inclination as well. School shootings fall more within the realm of mental illness and psychological stress/break. Honestly, I think responsibility and accountability should be the top priority for gun owners. Focusing on mental health and warning signs is a must to prevent things like school shootings. Helping more people out of poverty, I believe, would help cut down on, not only gun crime, but crime in general.

As for the responsibility aspect of gun ownership, I, myself, have all of my firearms and ammunition to said firearms under lock and key. My shotgun has a trigger lock on it and is in a bag. My Ruger is locked away in my gun safe that has a digital keypad and analog opening mechanism. My ammo is either in the gun safe or in my ammo can with a padlock on it. Obviously (god forbid), should my place be ransacked, it would only be a matter of time before those security systems fail and my guns become the possession of some not so kind strangers. The point still stands. I have done all that I can reasonably do to prevent unauthorized access to my weapons.
  7. mmmaske

mmmaske Rookie Shooter

Quick question: is it feasible in your country to have someone inspect all the firearm storage areas? Does the license to carry expire after a certain period of time or can it be revoked? I feel that that could help keep guns safe, but it doesn't sound too practical or in line with privacy laws.
  8. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

It would be impossible to inspect all firearms owners in the US. There are too many guns in too many hands. Nearly all states have no registration, so you couldn't even find all the gun owners if you wanted to. Also, in the US, we have two Constitutional amendments (the 2nd and the 4th) that such a blanket inspection would likely run afoul of.

Conceal carry licenses do expire, but the length of the term varies wildly depending on the state. They can be revoked temporarily if you are accused of a serious crime and permanently if convicted of said. A misdemeanor in some states and a felony in all states will result in them being yanked.
  9. Philosophydaddy

@GearZ: Do you think that, with the background checks for the purchase of firearms, there is an illegal registry somewhere? Not trying to tout a conspiracy theory or anything just curious of your opinion.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised but at the same time I still (though perhaps naively) have a small shred of faith in the US government. Then again that might just be my idealism shining through ;).
  10. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Well, as you likely know, the Gun Control Act of 1968 specifically prohibits a national registry. The instant background check system also is required to purge records after a buyer is approved. Does a registry exist anyway? It would clearly violate existing statutes. It also wouldn't be easy to implement. Long story short, I don't know, though I doubt it. Also, since private sales of Title I are perfectly legal in most states, I'd have to wonder how accurate such a system would be for long.

The exception, of course, is Title II weapons (machine guns, silencers, SBRs/SBSs, AOW). There is a registry for them and has been in effect since 1934.
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  11. Philosophydaddy

I didn't realize that the background check system purged records. That would certainly make the formation of an illegal registry orders of magnitude more difficult. I knew that the idea of a registry was illegal but I didn't know which act specifically forbade it. Thanks for the info and for your opinion :).
  12. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Indeed. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is supposed to purge all identifying information within 24-hours of approval. There is a overview of the operation here in case you are interested. Cheers. :)
  13. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I actually wouldn't be surprised if there was an illegal registry somewhere, but there is not supposed to be. Considering what the NSA and such are going, they probably know who a lot of the gun owners are. Searching every home for proper storage would not be looked upon kindly........aside from the fact it's probably impossible; I would not want to be in charge of that logistical nightmare!
  14. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

It is far too easy to get a gun in America. Illegal guns are readily available on the streets, and legal guns are not only available, but we can openly buy weapons designed for the sole purpose of killing large numbers of people quickly.
  15. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

It really doesn't have much to do with it. People in America are brainwashed it doesn't have anything to do with guns. They're not Men and Women. They just want to be glorified on the news and feel infamous and notorious because America glorifies people who are less than a man who terrorizes innocent civilians. smh
  16. Determined2014

Determined2014 Rookie Shooter

Guns can be easily gotten , either from being bought or borrowed, which is very scary, they are not bad, the only problem is when they become esay for someone with the wrong motives, that is when the easy access to guns becomes bad.
  17. thomas pendrake

I have proposed that permits for weapons designed for mass slaughter should require either the local sheriff to personally certify and take responsibility for the permittee, or a set number of registered voters to do the same. If your militia buddies or neighbors are willing to take responsibility if you go on a killing spree and kill a bunch of shoppers at the local mall, then you can get an ak47. Seems fair to me.
  18. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

Most crimes committed with guns like the ak47 aren't even registered. They can get them on the street. I don't understand them going after people with registered assault rifles who don't have anything to do with crime. The laws won't do anything for crime or shootings but make them worst and make innocent people easier to terrorize.
  19. thomas pendrake

Of course we should forbid the sale of these weapons as we did for awhile. That prevented the mass killings we see far too often now, but these are a small percentage of the rampant gun murders found in America, so the fanatics were able to falsely claim that it was ineffective. The manufacturers build these weapons for profit, knowing that the profit is blood money. They love people who wage war on their neighbors and kill innocent children, as long as they make a profit. Those of us who just want to go to a shooting range or hunt ducks are not really their concern. Not all the gun manufacturers are monsters, just those who deliberately profit from the murder of little children as a matter of policy. Have input into the laws. Keep the guns away from people who shouldn't have them.
  20. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

The problem is that the people that commit crimes and shouldn't have them, aren't the ones that buy them legally or abide by firearm laws. Creating new or more strict laws in an attempt to reduce crime doesn't work. In fact, if you look at global statistics, you'll see that countries with more strict firearm laws actually have higher crime rates.

I don't know the source of this image, but I've had it floating around for a while:

1982137_747250655298628_828076784_n.jpg