Curious about getting a concealed carry permit

Discussion in 'Gun Laws and Politics' started by Philosophydaddy, May 2, 2014.

1. Philosophydaddy

Philosophydaddy Beginner Shooter

I am debating whether or not I want to try and get a concealed carry permit. What are the pro's and con's of doing so? What kind of responsibilities would this place on me?

The second part of my curiosity is what kind concealed weapons are out there and what kind of concealed holster systems exist? I have not been successful at researching these questions so I am hoping someone here in the community will be able to help me out.

Thanks!
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I have had a license since the 90s and like the ability to legally carry a handgun on my person or in the vehicle. Regarding the pros and cons:

Pros:
    • You can pack legally to defend yourself. Most states it is a serious crime to carry concealed without a license.
    • Some states let you skip the background check when buying a firearm and attendant fee if you have a CCW/CHL. Mine isn't like that, but there are many that do.
    • If you want to also carry a handgun whilst hunting, it can open up the option in some states.
    Cons:
    • There is a fee. Depending on the state, it ranges from very little to pretty high.
    • There are places where you still can not carry and they vary from state to state. Carrying in a federal building is verboten in them all.
    • Some states require training or testing before a license is granted.
    • Some states it grants you the right to only carry a handgun concealed and nothing else (e.g, rifle, shotgun, etc.).
    With respect to the piece and how to carry it, there are so many options, it would be nearly impossible to list. You'll want a handgun that is powerful enough to reliably stop an attacker, that fits you hand well, and can be drawn easily. There is a holster for nearly every type of firearm, body build, and attire that you should be able to find rigs that works for you.

Hope that helps get you started. :)
  3. Philosophydaddy

That actually helps a lot. I didn't realize that to carry a handgun while hunting in some states required a CCW which is something I've been considering doing. Let me ask you, if you don't mind of course, have you ever had the need to draw while carrying concealed? If so, what happened?

I realize that it is a rather large responsibility, I am just wondering what kind of situations you might have been in that you considered, or physically did, draw your weapon.
  4. Jess

Jess Rookie Shooter

I live in a state where you don't need a CCW, but I decided I'd like to have one and my husband agrees. One reason is the class teaches how to deal with situations in real life. Also, if you are carrying and have to deal with law enforcement for any reason, having a CCW makes it easier to handle.
  5. Philosophydaddy

That is very interesting @Jess. I didn't realize that CCW classes taught these kinds of things. If I may, how does having a CCW make encounters with the police easier to handle?
  6. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I'm guessing that the CCW itself is what helps you; as in, in order to get one, you have to be clean and upstanding by default. I wonder if the concealed hunting rule would even be enforced if someone was clearly out hunting.....however, if you're caught on the street with a concealed gun, it could be bad. Last I checked, it's a misdemeanor around here, with like a 50 dollar fine. It may be different now.
  7. Jessi

Jessi Rookie Shooter

You can take those sorts of classes even without getting a permit, so you might want to look into what your local area offers.

As for helping with law enforcement, I have a feeling she means that a cop isn't going to question whether or not you were hiding a weapon or should have a weapon, etc....but you'll clearly have a permit that says you're allowed to. If you were open carrying, but a cop thought you were trying to conceal....you could get in trouble, for example, but if you have a permit, it doesn't really matter since you could be doing either.
  8. Determined2014

Determined2014 Rookie Shooter

It is a good idea, the hardest part I think will be making sure the gun is safe at all times,making sure it does not end up in the wrong place and at the same time the greatest advantage will be self protection.
  9. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

There are people who terrorize innocent people out in public. People do need them for their safety, the world is trash today. Make sure there is NOT one in the chamber and its on safety.
  10. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I have to disagree with Tito above...I always carry one in the chamber...if you are following proper gun safety rules that doesn't make a gun any more dangerous. I have my concealed carry license and although it takes awhile to get the federal background check completed it is not a difficult process.

As to the holster question my husband and I both carry Crossbreeds. I love them! Even in this summer heat I can wear a thin tank top and shorts and no one can tell I am carrying except for maybe another CCW holder. :) http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
  11. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Kind of an interesting tangent on this point; in our county, the Sheriff has a directive that if a major emergency goes down, he will Deputize all CCW holders to maintain order. The theory is said individuals have a clean criminal record and are already packing.

Chamber empty and have the safety engaged? :confused: