Colt Canada's to Replace the C7?

Discussion in 'Machine Guns' started by GearZ, Feb 17, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Well, maybe their offering will. Check out this futuristic piece of hardware:

[​IMG]

According to this article, it has a 5.56mm component, but also a three-round 40mm grenade launcher or 12-gauge shotgun upper assembly. Video here:

Is it just me, or does this thing look like something out of the 1986 film Aliens? :D
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

It looks interesting but the height of the sight is absolutely horrible for zeroing at anything practical. I'm sure it would be fine once the grenade launcher came off, the way most people in an infantry section would use it.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Agreed, the current setup looks a little unwieldy. I suppose the thinking is it is a grenade launcher and ... oh, yah, we'll stick a regular rifle on it to for personal defense.* But, as mentioned, most soldiers won't likely be packing that version. Or I imagine they won't.

* IIRC, the reason why our military stuck the M203 on the M16 family was due to the experience in Vietnam with the M79. The M79 is/was a fine grenade launcher, but the operator had to pack a second weapon for self-defense and/or to lay down fire when out of grenades. At first, it was a M1911A1 pistol, and latter they started slinging an M2 carbine or M16A1 as well. That is a lot of weight when in the jungle.
  4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

This is strange to look at which it does look like a thing from Aliens. I cannot see this gun being just a prop. I cannot think of how you would carry just that gun. It looks like it has some real tech.