Bipod vs Shooting Bag (sandbag)

Discussion in 'Weapon Attachments' started by Amdac, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Which would you generally consider to be more accurate between these two choices? I use a bipod on my guns due to the simple fact that it will always be with me, but I'm not really sure which would be more accurate if there's even a noticeable difference at all.
  2. NM shooter

NM shooter Rookie Shooter

Shooting from a bench I like a sandbag. A bipod is more convenient when lying prone. I don't really notice a big difference in accuracy. The sandbag may be just a bit more accurate and stable but you can't really take them hunting.
  3. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

I have always used bipods when given a choice. Sandbags are just too awkward to adjust perfectly. I have considered buying a small sandbag to support the rear of my target rifle but I'm leaning towards a monopod.
  4. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I think its best to go with what you would be using most often, hunters would most likely gravitate toward bi-pods, but if you're at the range all the time go with sandbags. I think sandbags are more stable but I use bi-pods much more.
  5. woot223

woot223 Rookie Shooter

Sandbag are a little better in my opinion because of the fact that they are soft which means that they can absorb some energy and make your shooting a bit more comfortable. Of course the bipod is also a very good option because you can always have it with you. I guess it's all down to what you feel is better for you.
  6. seagram

seagram Rookie Shooter

It's a tossup. A bipod may be more stable, but a sandbag might is obviously going to offer more places to rest along the bag, for your gun to settle in. Also, it does depend on what you're planning on doing. Are you going to be there a while, or want to be mobile, or lying in prone, etc.
  7. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

For range use, I would think the sandbag would be a better choice. It would also be a good idea though, to learn how to shoot from a bipod.
  8. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

Since I am more likely to hunt in Florida or nearby states. I would never use either for hunting. For target practice from a prone position if I am shooting distance I would use a bipod. From a stand I would probably use a sandbag for distance.
  9. Tersuss

Tersuss Beginner Shooter

I personally find the bipod (and tripod) to be far more accurate and easier to use than the sandbag, purely for the fact that there is little to no movement from my rifle after I fire with the bipod attachment.
  10. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

I am used to not using either, since I am unlikely to take sniper shots. I try to practice shooting as I would shoot in real situations.About 20 years ago I had the privilege of meeting an elderly man who had been one of the last of the legendary gun-slingers (as a Union activist in the Harlan County area). He used a two-handed grip with his pistols and , even at 90+ was a dead shot.