Beginner's Handgun?

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by skywatcher, Apr 1, 2014.

1. elite1fl

elite1fl Rookie Shooter

The first handgun I bought and still have today is my Browning Hi Power 9mm. It's reliable and easy to handle. I would also recommend a .38 special revolver. I use a Taurus .38 special as my carry gun. It's light, easy to handle and maintain, plus it will never jam. The best thing to do is go to a range and rent some pistols out and see what you like. Pistols are like women, everyone has their own personal preference.
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

+1 to trying out as many as you can. Of all the classes of firearms, the handgun has to fit your hand well. After a good sampling a better choice can be made. The same goes with aftermarket grips.
  3. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

My first was a Ruger SR9 and to this day I still love it. At the time I had never fired a Glock and you just can't get the feel for a Glock without putting a round downrange. The reason I picked the SR 9 originally though was because it was easier for me to operate the slide on it and it felt like it would fit my hand more comfortably than a Glock.
  4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

That is so true just like with cars how you have to take care of them when they break down. Browning Hi Power 9mm is a good one too that I would like to shoot.
  5. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The Hi-Power is a solid piece. My father owned and carried one for years. It is a little "old school" in today's market place, but I certainly wouldn't feel inadequately armed with one.
  6. Profit5500

Hey the same could be said about the 1911 handgun. So many 1911 handguns now it is hard to decide which are good and which are not. Still the Hi-power Browning is one good classic handgun to go about and use.
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

True that. The M1911 is still going strong because it is a splendid design, despite being over 100 years old. Similar things can be said about the Hi-Power. It also, essentially, started the Wonder-9 concept. There were a few high-capacity 9mms that predated it (e.g., the Spanish C/96 clones, etc.), but Browning's auto is what made the idea work.
  8. Profit5500

I know right the craziness is the fact that the gun has been around for 100 years. I thought that the other companies like Sig Sauer and Smith & Wesson who also makes 1911's know the exact way how the gun worked. I would like to shoot those variants when the chance comes.
  9. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

The 1911 is a lot of fun. I've strayed and I've played, I have come back to that one over the years. I only own one (RIA 1911 GI standard), but it is a solid work horse. Actually, on that note, if you want a stock, no frills 1911, its hard to beat the RIA line.
  10. Profit5500

I am telling you there are so many 1911's out there. One type of 1911 I would love to shoot is the John Razorcat 9mm handgun. I seen it on Topshot and that gun was awesome.
  11. kana_marie

kana_marie Rookie Shooter

My first pistol was a .22 revolver. That was also my son's first. You'll be able to learn the basics without a lot of recoil. Once you are comfortable with it you'll be a lot more comfortable with the more powerful guns. My favorite now is the .45. You can feel the power it has when you pull the trigger but it doesn't make you feel like its going to knock you on your butt.
  12. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Neato. What make and model is your .45? Is it an auto or a wheel gun? Got a pic to share? :D
  13. kana_marie

It's actually my dad's so no pics. But one day my dad will get tired of me talking about it and just let me have it. It's a Taurus semi automatic. Every time I shoot this gun, when I get down to the last round the shell will hit me dead center in the forehead... never fails.This gun and I have bonded! I love it!
  14. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Neat. Is it Taurus' 1911 or PT247? I've wondered about the former as I dig the 1911 platform.

Weird about the last round bonking you. I once use to shoot a Glock 17 that did something similar. Replacing the extractor fixed it though.
  15. kana_marie

I consider it a sign we were meant to be together. It isn't like it really hurts. And it's great just in case I ever lose count!