Beginner's Handgun?

Discussion in 'Pistols' started by skywatcher, Apr 1, 2014.

1. skywatcher

skywatcher Rookie Shooter

Hello!

I'm planning to start target shooting (mainly for self-defense, and so that I have something of use to be able to protect my family when it comes to dangerous situations), but I'm not necessarily sure as to what kind of handgun to keep at home.

Is there, like, a recommendable handgun for beginners like me? I'm not exactly knowledgeable on guns, but I'm willing to learn and study about them. I always found guns, especially handguns, fascinating and interesting, and I was hoping you guys could help me start with this new hobby. Thanks!
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I think the caliber in this case plays a bigger role than the specific model of pistol. For learning and general practice, you probably want something with relatively cheap ammo in which case a .22LR is probably the best bet. For self defense, you're going to want a more powerful round. Anything from a 9mm and up are fairly common for this.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Ditto the idea of a .22LR. A decent semi-automatic or revolver will help you learn the basics of handgun shooting and allow a lot of, relatively, cheap training.

Another option is a revolver in .38 Special/.357 Magnum. A used Ruger or Taurus would be inexpensive, you could run light .38s for practice, but later load it with .357 rounds for defense. Finally, a police trade-in Glock in 9mm might work too.

Good luck and let us know how we can help. :)
  4. skywatcher

skywatcher Rookie Shooter

Whoa, thanks for the ideas, guys!

I was also eyeing a Glock, but I'm going to have to find a store I saw last time (which I unfortunately forgot where). I'm also into revolvers, though I think I'm going to try the .22LR first, it looks interesting and nifty.

I'll also try finding .38s for practice sessions, but also practice with .357 for the defense part. Thank you very much!
  5. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Glad to help, Skywatcher. Assuming you are in the US, you might consider an NRA training course. You can find offerings here.

Cheers.
  6. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

.22 is a good suggestion, but I would also check ammunition availability before you settle on that caliber. I would suggest a Ruger pistol. They a well made; cheap, and pretty decent shooters. Go with a 9mm, so you can start with light recoil and pretty inexpensive ammo.
  7. mmmaske

mmmaske Rookie Shooter

Quick question -- due to carry laws, I won't be buying my own gun but what does the community recommend if I wanted to try out target shooting at a range? If I were given a choice, what pistol should I choose? I'm really cheap so hopefully something whose ammo doesn't cost a lot. :D
  8. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I personally feel it's hard to top a 1911 at the range. The ergonomics and trigger are in a class of their own. 1911s do tend to be expensive, but you get what you pay for. Rock Island makes a good starter 1911; which you can get with some bells for a little over 500......it's available in 9mm.
  9. mmmaske

mmmaske Rookie Shooter

Awesome! Hopefully I can try out shooting soon. Thanks! :D
  10. 96grandsport

96grandsport Rookie Shooter

I'd recommend going to a gun shop or pawn shop and getting a used Glock 17/19/26. Glocks are probably the most widely used and user-friendly pistols there are. Plus, 9mm ammo is cheap and can be found anywhere. Save even more with reloads.
  11. Determined2014

Determined2014 Rookie Shooter

Well , when I started , I started with a glock 9mm , but found it to be a little difficult, especially when it came to cocking it in position , so I switched to a 38, which was more easier amd comfortable.
  12. SS42A

SS42A Beginner Shooter

My old man used to wield a Glock 9mm pistol as well, but he sold it later on. For me though, it's definitely worth a basic handgun. However, you can also go for revolvers if you find cocking the Glock difficult. Smaller handguns will work for beginners as you will have to practice your aiming as well as response time.
  13. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

Most people start off with glocks. Me personally, i would start someone off with some sort of revolver other than the 500 mag because its too powerful. The revolvers are very simple and reliable.
  14. jackhaal

jackhaal Rookie Shooter

I might recommend a Ruger shooting iron. They a well made, low-cost, and pretty good shooters. Keep company with a 9mm, thus you'll begin with lightweight recoil and pretty cheap ammunition. .22 may be a sensible suggestion, however I might check ammunition availableness before decide to use it for yourself.
  15. MichaelAnders

MichaelAnders Rookie Shooter

I recommend that you get the The Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm handgun it is an excellent choice for a first time gun owner , I bought my gun after asking a lot of people who knew more about guns than I did , also I would read the gun magazines a lot and this gun was mentioned and recommended to me more than any other gun. I bought mine for personal home defense reasons, it has two safety switches, a trigger safety and a pistol grip safety. by looking at the top of it you can tell if this gun is loaded and ready to fire even in the dark which is very helpful. My gun came with some very nice accessories, two clips a 16 round clip and a 13 round clip, a holster and a carrier. This gun is not legal in California to have a high-capacity clip but I live in Indiana , if you do live in California then I'm not sure which other gun I can recommend to you.
  16. titohunter

titohunter Beginner Shooter

Most people will tell you to lean towards glock. Maybe a smith and wesson governor or something. Its simple, reliable, and you can see with your eyes if it is loaded or not.
  17. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Glock is a decent choice as well. I think the XD is better as far as all around. They are much more comfortable in the hands, and close-if not equal-in reliability. Springfield also has a lifetime warranty; don't know if Glock does these days.
  18. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggy Rookie Shooter

.22 is a great starter caliber for familiarizing yourself with shooting, as for self-defense I would recommend a Glock variant, you're going to want it in 9mm as well, as 9mm ammo is cheap and abundant, the Glock is easy to fire and has a built in safety, overall a very simple pistol, great for a variety of purposes and extremely reliable :)
    Happy shooting :D
  19. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

Glock is my first choice too so when I do get the money to buy one LOL. They are very simple to hold and look cool. Not to mention the Glocks are good for competition shootings. I saw a pic of Michelle Viscusi with a Glock shirt on with a Glock handgun.
  20. xHysteria

xHysteria Rookie Shooter

I think that a .22 handgun is perfect for a beginner. It's what I used when I started beginners shooting. And when you get more advanced you can get a higher cal.