Article: Best Shotgun Load for Home Defense

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Amdac, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I've just written an article that I've been meaning to do for quite some time regarding shotgun loads. I really just wanted to make a table of stats to reference in the future. ;)

Please keep any questions or comments about the article in this thread.

Link: Best Shotgun Load for Home Defense
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Thanks for posting the article. The pictures were particularly interesting. Personally, I stick with 00-buck. It has a proven track record, is relatively inexpensive, and widely available. :)
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

I would think that most shotgun rounds would have a certain level of effectiveness. Even bird shot would ruin your day. A rifled slug; or 00 buck to the chest, is all but impossible to survive; even on drugs.
  4. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

That's a good point and part of the reason why we go with 00-buck here is all the meth crazies. I've read that they can soak up a lot of pain when on the junk, so if one of them tries to cause trouble here, I want them to take a seat real fast.
  5. Toasty95

Toasty95 Rookie Shooter

Always keep 00 Buck loaded in my home defense shotgun. I've heard of some people who alternate with buck then a slug, then another load of buck, but I never saw the point of having different loads in at once.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

Judging from this article 00 buckshot is the more wise round to use in home defense. I never would have thought about that round being preferred for home defense.
  7. Jobenvy

Jobenvy Rookie Shooter

I'm going with #1 buck shot. Good load for home-defense, besides that i read someplace the FBI did some study years back on buck shot loads for home defense they concluded #1 to be the best. Does not over penetrate like 00 and has a nice spread for short and long shots.
  8. MIKE TALASKI

MIKE TALASKI Rookie Shooter

Why not try the 12 guage Defense Round it is a 1oz slug with 3 00 pellets that is what I use and you cannot believe the pattern
  9. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

If you're referring to the Winchester PDX1, it does seem to have a lot of followers and I'm sure works quite well. I'm just personally a fan of 16 holes vs 4, regardless of the size. Slugs are quite devastating though.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    GearZ likes this.
  10. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

+1 to sticking with 00-buck. It may not be fancy or the latest whiz-bang load, but it has a solid track record of making two-legged critters take a seat fast. There is a reason why it is pretty ubiquitous in law enforcement and to a lesser extent in .mil.
  11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

I too would stick to the 00-buckshot for any home defense situation. 12-guage is common for a lot of folks who like a home defense weapon. Then, again I was caught off guard with the 00-buckshot being one of those guns for home defense situations.