A Gun Law Question

Discussion in 'Gun Laws and Politics' started by Thomas, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Are there any gun laws on the books, that you find completely reasonable? Are there any new gun laws that are being proposed, that you would agree with? If strict gun control actually worked, would you compromise and agree to more?

Personally, I find the background check to be acceptable; provided it doesn't end up on a registry. The government has no business knowing who owns guns, and where they are; neither do the police. They do have the right; in my opinion, to prevent criminals from purchasing guns (as much as they actually can). The waiting period is complete hogwash, as is requiring a permit for concealed carry.

No other gun law that has been placed up for debate; in the last several decades, has offered anything I agree with. "Gun free zones" are basically just a "come and shoot me" sign. Ban on high capacity magazines? Please, A ban on AR-15s? :rolleyes: Not only is that wrong, it's completely illogical.

People say that police should have them because they are trained. While that may be true, civilians face the same threats as the police. So the gun grabbers answer of course; is to take the less trained person, and force them to use a less effective gun on the same threats a trained police officer faces? Real smart guys.
  2. swagger

swagger Rookie Shooter

Background check is needed. Fully-auto guns shouldn't be sold, nobody really needs them. Semi-auto are alright after a background check, but nobody needs an AK-47 (for example) for hunting, protection, or having fun at the range.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

The thing is, I don't believe need should necessitate rights. No one needs a hamburger, or pack of cigarettes. No one needs a sports car or Playboy magazine. I can understand your basic point, I just don't agree with the mentality. Heck, there are places in the US where you wouldn't "need" a gun at all. Should you then be prevented from owning one?
    GearZ and ally79 like this.
  4. swagger

swagger Rookie Shooter

Well yes, but there's a difference between a hamburger and an automatic gun. What exactly would one need an fully automatic gun for?
  5. ally79

ally79 Beginner Shooter

I think the fully automatic gun argument is completely bogus because so few people actually own fully automatic guns. In response to the original OP though, my state has a new law up for a vote about allowing college students and professors to carry concealed on campus. That is a law I can get behind! :)
  6. antoinebugleboy

antoinebugleboy Rookie Shooter

Hear! Hear!

Who decides what anyone "needs"?

How many crimes have been committed with legally owned machine guns?

Think about it this way: the police have guns. Criminals have guns. Neither are going to give up their arms because of any law being passed. The only thing "gun control" will do is disarm law abiding civilians, or make criminals out of them.
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Rookie Shooter

I don't care what weapon you want to buy all I care about is whether or not you are more of a danger when you own it. Of course, you're a danger regardless. But I would prefer a crazy person with a knife or hamburger over a crazy person with a Koch HK416. Easier to deal with.
  8. dansmith

dansmith Rookie Shooter

This is my take on gun laws in general, the new ones waste far too much time and effort to pass, why don't they try something new and exciting and... I don't know... ENFORCE THE ONES WE HAVE!! That's what kills me every freaking time when a new gun law is proposed, and most of them are ridiculous and violates that second amendment that Obama tries to repeal, but most of the current ones are okay if they would just be enforced. That's my take on it.
  9. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

How about a wall to get behind? Students with concealed guns, great for frat parties. Nothing like a bunch of drunk frat boys with guns whooping it up. Then they could shoot the girls before raping them. Must be a bunch of drunks proposing that law.
  10. thomas pendrake

Criminals carry guns when they feel they need them, such as when they think you are armed. Guns encourage guns in the hands of criminals.
  11. thomas pendrake

Just when has Obama tried to repeal the second amendment? Don't quote fauxnews, try real quotes.
  12. Toasty95

Toasty95 Rookie Shooter

I find any "assault weapon" ban to be unreasonable. It's the same damn thing as any other semi-automatic just scarier looking.
  13. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Off the top of my head, I can think of one that makes sense. In my state, its prohibited to possess or fire those "Dragon's Breath" pyrotechnic shotgun shells in the region of the state prone to wild fires. Said cartridges are really more pyrotechnics than actual ammo and the devastation that can be caused in that area is pretty staggering. You would think common sense would deter someone from touching off a wall of fire in those areas, but yet here we are.
    thomas pendrake likes this.
  14. Rhoda DEttore

Rhoda DEttore Rookie Shooter

I don't agree with fully automatics being widely sold. The criminals will wind up with them, and a war will ensue. I agree with background checks for criminals and the mentally ill... but I think that needs to be defined. If someone went into a hospital for depression after his/her spouse died twelve years ago, and has been fine since.... that is a lot different than someone who has been in an out of rehabs or mental institutions.

When it comes to laws, the most ridiculous one I remember being proposed was one where if the owner did not buy a trigger lock (which was about $300), then the owner could be charged with the same crime as the perpetrator if the stolen gun was used in a crime. This infuriated me. STOP the guy from breaking into my house and stealing my personal property and you wouldn't have had a robbery or further crime!