.38 Spl/.357 Magnum Rat Shot?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by GearZ, Mar 21, 2014.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Hello all. Well, its getting into spring and soon we'll have slithering critters out. I normally leave them alone unless they are in an area where they shouldn't be and/or they are the venomous type (rattlers). In the past, I've used a .410 shotgun to dispatch our uninvited reptile friends, but I am thinking a revolver loaded with shot would be a lot easier to pack.

Has anyone use these .357 Magnum shot cartridges on small pests (field mice, snakes, etc.)? Thanks.
  2. lolinternets125

lolinternets125 Rookie Shooter

Funny you ask, I've actually carried .357 with snake shot a few times when I was deer hunting. I never ended up using on a snake, but I did manage to put one into a very large rat. It was very effective although I was surprised at the lack of physical trauma. I guess I was expecting the shot to blow it to bits, but that wasn't the case. In any case, it did kill it and I would imagine it would be very effective against rattlers as well.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Thanks for the details lolinternets125. It it will zap a large rat, it should put down a snake if administered to the noggin.