.22......pistol or rifle?

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by Thomas, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Which do you prefer for the .22LR? I have owned both, and favor the pistol. One must keep in mind that I am a far bigger fan of pistols then rifles though.
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

I think that's the biggest factor to consider there. I'm more of a rifle fan myself. I used to own two .22LR rifles but sold one off, and have never owned a pistol.

Actually I lied. I am a fan of pistols but the laws around them in Canada are simply moronic and as a result, I've yet to buy one.
  3. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

What are the laws about pistols in Canada if I may ask?
  4. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

You need a separate license for pistols and restricted long guns. Your pistol/ restricted long gun must be registered with the federal government, you can only fire them at licensed ranges and you need to have a transportation route to the range from your home filed with the federal government. Any time you move, you have to update all the licences and information. Plus you have to get a new transport route filed and approved before you move. Magazines are limited to 10 rounds but if your rifle (restricted to 5 round mags) takes the same mags as your pistol, you can use them... Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. I don't own a pistol yet but I'd like to. Same reasons as Amdac, firearm laws in Canada are moronic.
    dapapas likes this.
  5. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

Wow, I thought some of the laws in the US were bad. If you use a gun in self defense in Canada, can you be sued? That is perhaps the worst law in effect in the US. Unless the state has a castle doctrine, you are vulnerable to lawsuit, even if you committed no crime.
  6. Slacktrack

Slacktrack Moderator Staff Member

Forget being sued, you're probably going to be thrown in jail for murder. There is no castle laws on the books that I know of in Canada but something similar is working its way the books. In Canada, it's all about "reasonable force". The previous version of the law was very vague on what "reasonable" was so many people using firearms in self-defence were considered by confused juries to be using unreasonable force.
  7. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

It never ceased to amaze me how much our "free" societies look out for the criminals. I'm not saying we should be cruel and unusual, but how about looking after the victims first? Regardless of circumstance, people who commit crimes chose to do so-they should not have more rights then the people they chose to attack.
  8. Bodybuilder

Bodybuilder Rookie Shooter

I prefer the pistol myself. It's an all around better weapon than the rifle is. Yes, You do have a longer range of fire with the rifle. But the pistol is more concealable and more accurate. It really is just a matter of personal preference though.
  9. Thomas

Thomas Decent Shooter

My .22 pistol is deadly accurate too. When .22 ammo is actually easy to get and affordable again, I will be able to shoot all days for 20 bucks. Welcome to the board!
  10. -Robert12345

-Robert12345 Rookie Shooter

Pistol is definitely my favorite.
  11. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsu Beginner Shooter

Depends on the use. I have a .22 rifle, but not a pistol. Not an issue of moronic laws like the Canadian friends have to deal with (at least not too moronic yet, as I live in the US), just a matter of the rifle was cheaper. Pistols are stupid expensive compared to rifles in my opinion. I do like plinking with my M1600 .22, though. I do want to get a Walther P22, however.
  12. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

We have both a .22LR rifle and pistol. If I had to pick one, certainly the pistol. But I've always been pretty much a pistol fan, followed by shotguns, then rifles.
  13. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Rookie Shooter

Wow that is a lot to go through for a pistol license. A transporting route filed and approved by the federal Government? I think I would just stick to the riffle as well.
  14. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Rookie Shooter

The pistol all day. I just like the size of the little thing. Very easy to conceal, a great beginner tool, but a pro could find it useful if need be as well.