.22 For Self Defense

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by Thomas, Jan 25, 2014.

1. GunCon103

GunCon103 Rookie Shooter

I personally own a gun that uses .22 for home safety because it doesn't have the kickback of other guns. If someone is busting into your home in the night, you probably aren't too prepared anyway (unless you work at night or are a light sleeper. I'm not). I've never had to worry about a human home invader (and god willing I never will) but with good aim a .22 should be all you need to incapacitate them. The ammo being pretty dang common is also a great boon for target practice.
  2. Toasty95

Toasty95 Rookie Shooter

I keep my 12 gauge under my bed, and a cheap plinker .22 a little farther, so in the case of (God forbid) home invasion, I have my choice. Most liely would go 12 Gauge
  3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

The .22 round is great for headshots, but I would have to brace myself if someone broke in with a 12 gauge. Although if a zombie apocalypse were to happen you can find lots of .22 rounds around since people won't think about .22 rounds.
  4. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrake Beginner Shooter

22s are also supposed to be the weapon of choice of professional assassins except for snipers. Also, better to hit your target with the first shot than to miss ten times.
  5. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

That's a accurate point there Thomas I rather hit a target from a distance with the first shot. First shot for nervous shooters is always going to fail but for people who know about accuracy it would not be an issue hitting the target with a .22 round. The good thing too with .22 caliber guns is that they do not have as much recoil as the 12 gauge shotguns you see.