10/22 says Shhhhh .....

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by GearZ, Feb 1, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

So, I ran some Gemtech subsonics in my silenced Ruger 10/22 today. Dang, good times. They cycled perfectly and the suppression worked. Not "silenced", of course, but a muffled Pffffft-Click. Here is a pic of the little .22 who likes to be quiet:

[​IMG]

Stock 10/22. BX-25 mags. Cascade silencer. :D
  2. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

You guys are so lucky. Suppressors here = jail time. Apparently trying to protect your hearing makes you a criminal in Canada.
  3. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I do find it bizarre that governments have problems with a hearing protection device. They, obviously, are not illegal in my home state, but I did have to pay a $200 tax, send in a pile of paperwork, and wait from early May of last year until the end of this month to get approved. Annoying, but I will take it over a blanket ban like in some states.
  4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Decent Shooter

Man why is your government so problematic when it comes to firearm regulations? If suppressors would land you jail time then where would shotguns land you?
  5. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

I won't speak for Amdac, but, afaik, shotguns aren't too hard to obtain and run in Canada. In fact, their laws governing barrel length appear to be more sane than here. Here if you want to have a barrel shorter than 18" you need to:
    • Fill out a lot of paperwork.
    • Get fingerprinted.
    • Pay $200.
    • Live in a state that allows those kind of scatterguns.
    • Wait an eternity for all of it to be approved.
    Have shotgun with a short barrel without registration and you're off to Club Fed for between eighteen months to ten years. Sounds like the opposite of "shall not be infringed", but I digress. ;)
  6. Amdac

Amdac Administrator Staff Member

Yep, shotgun ownership is the only thing that I know of that are less strict than what you guys can have. As long as the entire length is at least 26 inches long, it's legal here. I've seen barrels as short as 8 inches on shotguns. This makes no sense to me, considering how ridiculous the rest of the laws are.

I would give anything for a suppressor here, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.
  7. GearZ

GearZ Decent Shooter

Well, considering 41P might become regulation, I put in an application for another can. This one is a AAC Ti-Rant in 9mm. The paperwork is off, the feds have cashed my check, so now I'm playing the waiting game. When all is approved, I'll post some pics. :)